Tuesday, October 26, 2010

on the lack of sleep

I intend to fill you all in on our fun weekend, but first I need some advice.

I know what you're thinking - how could this angel be the source for anything but bragging?


But...Asher has been having a lot of trouble sleeping through the night recently.  A few weeks ago he started waking up in the middle of the night, screaming bloody murder.  Now he's sick with a cold and teething {which I'm sure makes it worse}.

I've read that babies often start waking up at night when they drop their 3rd nap {which we did at 9 months old} and when they start moving around more.  All of that crawling, scooting, standing, and learning stimulates their minds and makes it harder sleep soundly.

All of that said, I guess it makes sense that Asher is experiencing these wake-ups.  He's been having his own mini-Renaissance recently and is SO busy all day.  The thing I'm wondering is...what do I do about it??  Anything?

I did move his bedtime up a little to compensate, but he still cries out at night.  When this happens I've stopped going in to him because when I do he just gets revved up and wants to play, rather than fall back asleep.  BUT I hate, hate hearing him cry!  Any advice?

Is anyone else going through this with your little one?  I'd love to hear any tips you might have!  Anyone have an idea of how long this will last or how I can help Asher get back to a good night's sleep?

The good news is that he's still a happy boy during the day.  He takes 2 good naps and goes down for night sleep easily.  I wouldn't worry about it so much, but I know that have interrupted sleep isn't the best for him {or me!} and it's been going on for a long time now.  It will be great when we get back to the lovely sleep schedule we used to have!  Just when you think you've got these babies figured out...

8 comments:

  1. Eli did this for a few days when his first two teeth came in... But I unfortunately have no solutions for you.

    For what it's worth, Eli hasn't taken three naps since probably April. During the week, he wakes up at 6:30 and goes to bed at 8:30 with one hour naps around 10 am and 2:30 pm. But lately, ever since he moved up to the new room at daycare last week, he's been skipping his afternoon nap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily! Holde did the SAME thing about a month ago! Just for no reason and out of the blue one day just started waking up. We would have to make him a bottle and then put him back down. But it only lasted for about 2 or 3 weeks. I know it seems like forever when you are running on little sleep but he is better now so I hope Mr. A will be soon too! On and I love the name Asher too!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seraya did the waking up thing in the middle of the night once she learned to sit up on her own. She couldn't figure out how to lay back down and would start crying. We would go back in and lay her down and she would fall asleep. And then sometimes she would just be crying but still laying down so we would just let her cry. I hate hearing her cry but it usually didn't last too long. I heard they practice new things they learn when they wake up in the middle of the night and then don't know how to go back to sleep. It only lasted about a week for us and she was back to normal. Hope it comes to an end for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I'm sincerely sorry about Asher's night wakenings. We have been dealing with Everett getting up 4-6 times a night for going on 3 months. I want to say it's a combination of teething and separation anxiety and I'm to the point I can barely function on a daily basis due to lack of sleep. We are going to take Everett in to his Ped to make sure there are no underlying issues. If there aren't, we are going to go the Ferber Method route. It is very hard for me to let him cry for hours so we'll see if this method works.

    Hang in there and like my husband always reminds me: "It won't be like this for long." (I think that is a country song too. Lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi emily! i actually went through this with nora when she started to crawl. i was told that when babies learn a new skill, they are so excited to practice it that it can interfere with sleep. this was the case with nora. at first i thought she was hungry due to her increased mobility. she wanted to eat when she woke up (usually around 2:30am) and would chug a 6 oz. bottle. however, even after increasing her food intake during the day, she was waking up ready to play. she would stay up for about an hour and a half, tire herself out, and go back to sleep. this lasted for about 3 weeks and then she went right back to sleeping through the night. unfortunately, i don't have any advise...just encouragement that in my experience it was temporary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. B is a wonderful, wonderful sleeper...but lately he has woken up a few hours before his awake time with some loud crying... but we don't go to him and he eventually goes back to sleep. I'd say he only cries for about 5 minutes tops and then goes back to his deep sleep until it's time to wake in the morning. I will also add... he is still in our room... (we are working on the transition!!!) so this may not be any relative info anyway!!! Hope it gets better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Presley has been sleeping great for the past month. Before that though, she was waking up multiple times a night. I used to try and pat her, but it ended getting her very worked up. Thus resulting in the exact opposite of what I wanted to happen. Finally, I just let her cry. She never cried for more than 10-15 minutes and then would fall back to sleep. After 2 weeks of this, she just stopped crying, and has been sleeping great ever since. The thing is...I have no clue if it was because I let her CIO or just because she was finally ready. The one thing I have learned from Presley is everything is a phase...even the good things. I'm just enjoying my wonderful little sleeper while it lasts because it probably won't, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel ya, lady! I am exhausted (usually) from Ava waking up, although she's been doing this for over FOUR months, so that may be why :P

    I wish I had some advice, but considering A wakes up to eat still in the middle of the night and she sleeps in our bed - I'm the last person with sound advice haha.

    This, too, shall pass?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails