Saturday, October 16, 2010

cribs are not for eating

When Asher first stood up in his crib I knew immediately that I needed to find a way to protect the crib rail from his razor sharp teeth.  He has been biting down on anything that finds its way in his mouth, so nothing is safe.

Drew and I figured this 'crib teething' was a possibility before Asher was even born so we had bought a clear rubber guard and put it on the rail immediately.  Our thought was that it could stay on there all the time and, if someday, Ash decided to gnaw on his crib that we'd already be set.

That was a complete disaster.  It left all kinds of residue on the rail that took me forever to get off.  I liked that it was clear and unobtrusive, but that was the best thing I could say about it.  Needless to say, it went back.  We couldn't find a better solution at the time, so we let it go.

After I caught Asher chewing on his crib slats the other week {sigh} I knew that as soon as he could pull up we'd have a huge problem on our hands. 

When I saw him pulling up over the video monitor a few days ago I immediately got online and started searching for 'crib rail guards.'  Have you ever shopped through Diapers.com?  It's fabulous!  I have ordered formula and toys for Asher through the site and it's so, so great!  The first time you place an order you get 15% off and free shipping.  Any time you order $50 or more you get free shipping - and there are almost always coupons for 10% off available. 

The best thing?  All shipping is in 1-2 days!!  I love it!

Oh, sorry, what was I saying?  Right, crib rail guards.  So I found some fabric ones on diapers.com that tie around any size rail.  They promised to arrive overnight and seemed like just the ticket.


Well, they came yesterday and I'm in love {well, maybe I'm in like, but more on that later}



The covers are called CribWrap by Trend Lab.  They are made of super soft fleece and have a waterproof backing so all the drool doesn't soak through and erode the wood finish.  The ties on these are positioned in the front so little hands can't undo them - excellent!


The only thing I don't like is that I can't see my beautiful crib AT ALL anymore.  Between the rail guards and the breathable bumpers it's a white out over there.  I got the white ones so it will go with any decor we have for future babies, but for now it's super boring.


Oh well - maybe all the boring white will help Asher sleep.  :o) 

And hopefully someday when we covert this crib into his big boy bed he'll appreciate having furniture that isn't marred by teeth marks.

3 comments:

  1. I added those to our registry :) I was wondering how we would cover our crib rails. They are too wide for any of the plastic covers I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea - if I can ever wrangle little A into her crib, we'll have to invest :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need those...bad. I don't care what they look like.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails