Wednesday, November 4, 2009

why, oh why

Yesterday a vendor came by the lab to sign me up for a service we need.

Normally we have vendors stopping by all the time to tell us about special products or give out samples. They are all salespeople and, as such, always smile and want to chat.

I'm a little mixed on this whole process. On one hand, it's nice to get free samples and hear about things that might make my job easier. On the other hand, it's kind of obnoxious to have people interupting my work at random times to try and sell stuff.

But that's besides the point.

This woman had an appointment and I invited her, so it was all good.

Until she started talking.

Now, like I said before, she's a salesperson. As such I automatically assumed she would possess above average interpersonal skills.

I expect the random stranger to say things that are thoughtless, but honestly figured that someone who talks their way into the wallets of strangers would be more suave.

The first thing this woman says after putting down her bag is, "Oh, when are you due?"

That's fine -- it's obvious I'm pregnant and I love to talk about it!

So I respond, "December 19th"

Then she smiles and says, "Oh! A Saggitarius!"

Apparently astrology is her thing. Oh my.

I'm trying to be nice and keep the conversation going in the direction she pointed us, so I respond with, "Well, maybe. The 19th is right on the line, so if he's a little late he could be whatever comes next." {astrology is not my thing}

To which she then replies,

"That would put his birthday on Dec 20th or later. I always hate to see that. These poor kids have to grow up sharing their birthday with Christmas and that's just a shame."

Crickets.

I'm speechless.

I don't know about you, but I typically save the phrase "I always hate to see that" for things like house fires, domestic abuse, and abandoned puppies.

NOT the birth of a child.

Still trying to be nice, I just smiled and immediately changed the subject to business.

But on the inside I was saying something more like,

"Listen, lady. Do you know how long my husband and I were trying to get pregnant? We certainly weren't going to skip a month just because it might result in a December birthday!! Our little boy will be cherished. Every birthday and holiday will be special because we'll make it special for him. If you can't understand that, then just BE QUIET."

But I didn't say that. Mostly because I was shell-shocked.

But also because I really need what she was selling.

Why can't people think before they speak? Why can't they see how things might sound to the person they are talking to?

I'm more sad than angry now. Mostly because I'm really afraid that what she said is true.

Ever since I learned my due date this is something I worried about. I want the bean to have a special birthday and I feel like I ruined that for him (not that I can control it, but you know). Drew and I will do our best to make it special, but the fact is, Christmas is kind of a big deal and has a way of trumping everything around it.

Despite these fears, I want to let my baby know that whatever day he comes will be much more special to me than any holiday ever could be.

{Sorry, Jesus -- I'm sure you understand}

7 comments:

  1. Well, I can give you some of the practical (since my sister's b-day is the 26th). I don't know if that's really what you're looking for, so feel free to ignore it if it's not =)

    Having a b-day right around Christmas can, in fact, suck. But it definitely doesn't have to. Before Christmas is probably better than between Christmas and New Year's... as more of his friends won't be visiting relatives for the holidays yet.

    And what the family does with it can make a huge difference. If you are determined to have a birthday celebration each year, then it will happen and it will be whatever you want it to be for him.

    I'm sure he will never feel unimportant on his birthday... I just don't think you could be that kind of mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My aunt's birthday is also the 26th. My grandma made a point to take down all the Xmas decorations that morning and replace them with birthday ones so she knew the day was all about her.

    Also, it's your first so you will probably *I know you don't want to hear this* go over your due date. I was a week late with Sophie and only ended up having her then because I was induced. The doc said she showed no signs of being born otherwise :)

    I realize that puts you even closer to Xmas. I agree w/ pp though. As long as you make a point to let your lo know they are special it will not be a huge deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom's birthday is Dec. 29th, and she grew up hating it. She got gifts wrapped in Christamas wrap and felt like her birthday was Christmas leftovers. She was also the youngest of six, and I believe this had more to do with it than Chriatmas. However, she swore that she would never have a child in Decemeber...then I was born on Dec. 18th. My mom felt guilty, and has always made my birthday so special. The only thing I have ever disliked, is that I couldn't have a pool party ever! (but my mom found a way to make that happen on my 13th birthday) I love my December birthday and I love Christmas. You will always make your baby's birthday special just because you love him, so try not to worry so much! Good luck and congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh girl, I got that same CRAP all the time when I was pregnant with Matthew (2nd son). He was born on Jan 11th. I was the same way.. I just wanted to SCREAM "Do you know how long it took us to conceive??" (years) and I was not about to skip a month for the sake of Christmas. Absolutely not. This woman means nothing to you so brush her off, but it does hurt when poeple close to you say it too. TRUST me, his day will be special even if he does land on the 25th. No doubt about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotten this same comment, since our baby's due date is technically New Year's Eve! How obnoxious. Even D has been a bit down about it, but the way I see it is that the only people responsible for your child feeling like they got stiffed because of a holiday birthday is you, and since we're all aware of that and want our baby's birthdays to be as big of a deal as Christmas, they will be :) Plus, all the festivities and carolers and decorations around town and holiday traditions will have a doubly special meaning to your child and family :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally feel you on this one! First of all, there are a lot of stupid people who make ridiculous comments.

    My worst experience so far happened near the beginning of my pregnancy, when we were sharing the news with my husband's family. His mother's fiancĂ©e said — in front of several people — that he could totally tell I was pregnant because my chest had gotten bigger! I was embarrassed, but tried to brush it off by assuring him that I was exactly the same size, but then he got insistent about it, saying loudly, “No! They really do look a lot bigger!” And then I swear he took a step toward me with both hands out, as if he were going to cup my breasts or something to make a comparison! It took three giant steps back, out of the way, and told him, “No, everything is the same and please don’t touch me or speak to me in that manner.” I was mortified!

    Also, I share your fears about the whole Christmas birthday thing, but I know we will do everything we can to make his birthday special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love birthdays around Christmas!! My best friend is born 2 days after Christmas, along with his twin...you know them! Little bean will get to start the partying early...woohoo!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails