Wednesday, November 25, 2009

thankful

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and Drew and I are cooking a feast.

For two (well, three).

The thing is that we've never made turkey before. Honestly though, from what I've read it doesn't sound all that hard. Since we're such a small party this year we decided to stick with a turkey breast, rather than the whole bird, which should simplify things significantly. A little herb rub, some butter, a foil tent, and a couple hours in the oven should do it.

Right?

Why do I see this ending badly?

The thing is that both Drew and I have families who live pretty far away from us. Normally we would take off from work on Wednesday and start the 8+ hour drive to where ever we were celebrating the holiday. This year I'm not able (or willing) to ride in the car for that long, so we're kind of stuck here.

Except that I don't feel stuck. At first it was pretty sad to think about eating turkey by ourselves, but now I feel much more excited about this change in our traditions! When we're a family of 3 we might not want to travel so far for such a short holiday, so making Thanksgiving dinner ourselves could become the new norm. Might as well get started now!

Truly, I have so much to be thankful for this year...

I'm thankful to have a baby bean who in fewer than 4 weeks will change us from a couple to a family.

I'm thankful to have 2 sets of grandparents and lots of aunts and uncles who are as excited about baby boy's arrival as Drew and I are! I know they will always show him an abundance of love.

I'm thankful to have a partner in Drew who is endlessly patient and supportive of me during this exciting (but challenging) time of pregnancy. He tells me every single day how amazed he is at the fact that I am growing our baby. It's my pleasure, really.

I'm thankful to have a home and a job and much more than I need.

I'm thankful to know that God has a plan for me and won't ever cast me aside.

These are the biggies, but (if I'm being really honest) I have to add 1 more thing...

In my current state what I'm most thankful for is the fact that if the turkey burns up and the potatoes are lumpy, there is a perfect pumpkin pie and an entire tub of Cool Whip waiting for me at home.

I'm really hungry.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

  1. We're doing the whole Thanksgiving thing on our own (at least the cooking part) this year, and I see it ending badly also! Best of luck with your turkey, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails