Monday, November 9, 2009

pediatrician help and BRU rant

This post has a two-fold purpose.

First, I'm calling out to all my blogging friends for help.

I'm meeting with the bean's potential pediatrician next Thursday and want to come armed with a list of good questions for him. This doesn't need to be an interrogation, but I also don't want to show up and simply stare at him for our time together.

I have a short list so far, but would love to hear what you asked your pediatrician during the "Meet and Greet" or anything that you wish you had asked back when.

Leave me a comment or feel free to email by clicking on the button to the right.

Secondly, I have a small rant directed towards Babies R Us...or maybe just male managers.

The other week Drew and I bought a gummi-style crib rail protector from BRU in the hopes that it would keep our brand new crib looking nice, even if the bean sprouts fangs and decides to go all werewolf on it.

I put it on the crib and all seemed great -- it fit fine and was snug enough to be safe.

But then I tried to reposition them and found the most awful residue left behind!

I had read the directions and box insert very carefully and saw absolutely no warnings about this kind of thing. I wouldn't have used it if I had!

I wasn't about to leave them ruin our crib -- if something (-one) is going to ruin this crib, it might as well be my child -- so I took them off and hauled them back to Babies R Us for a quick return.

Of course, initally I thought they were wonderful, so I threw away the box. BUT I still had my receipt! I know better than the ditch those. Ever.

Naturally, the cashier balks at my plastic rail covers in the bottom of a bag. I expected that and politely asked to speak with the manager directly. As far as I'm concerned these rail covers are defective and should be sent back to the manufactuer -- it wasn't a loss for BRU and they shouldn't have a problem giving me a refund.

Let me reiterate -- it's not that I don't like them. They damaged my furniture after promising to be safe. That's a defective product in my book.

Anyway, Greg the manager comes up to the register and gives me the same bologna that the cashier did about not being about to accept returns without the original box. I argued with him a little and made my point about them being defective. He stood firm. We went back and forth a few more times. Neither of us was willing to concede.

Drew happened to be with me and after awhile, very quietly spoke up and simply said:

"Greg, after all the money we spent here ourselves and our friends and family spent through our registry, we'd appreciate it if you could give us the $12 back."

Wouldn't you know, Greg folded like a house of cards. He immediately offered a merchandise credit (fine) and took the offending strips away.

This was completely a case of a man conceding to another man. Greg didn't want to argue with Drew about it, but didn't mind spending all day telling me that there was "nothing he could do."

Grrr...actually this might be more of a ROAR.

Ok, it's off my chest. I feel better.

Thanks for letting me vent. :o)

3 comments:

  1. I had the same issue with BRU once and I stood my ground and even told the manager, "don't you know by now, working here that you should NEVER mess with a pregnant woman!"

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie doesn't actually go to a "pediatrican" but I did make sure our family doc was on board with my wishes regarding her immunizations. IDK if you have any preferences regarding immunizations but that would be one thing I would ask if you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two of the questions I asked was

    How late do you take appointments (I am a teacher)

    Who takes your call (ours is answered by Arkansas Children's Hospital)or how can you be reached after hours.

    My doctor also has "sick" appointments each day. You can call the day your child gets sick and they have "sick" appointments so that all of their slots aren't filled up with well baby checks.

    My first pediatrician gave us a bunch of handouts at our first appointment (I should have gotten them at the meet and greet but I went into labor just before my appointment) that had when to call the Dr., what amounts of meds to take, when to start what foods, etc. It was very helpful. All of the books have this information but some pediatricians have different time lines than the books.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails