Thursday, November 5, 2009

tours and cravings

Last night Drew and I got a tour of the Maternity floor at our hospital. It was technically the last class in our Childbirth Education series. Yay!

I had very mixed feelings while we were walking around.

On one hand, it was reassuring to get a lot of my many, many questions answered. It was good to see where we'll go and what things look like.

On the other hand, it was pretty unnerving to see where we'll go and what things look like.

The labor rooms are very utilitarian (and very medical). Sure, there are rocking chairs and a t.v. but overall it's fairly cold and, well, a hospital. We've been planning to labor at home for as long as possible and this trip solidified that idea for me. I can't imagine spending 12+ hours in one of these rooms.

Hopefully I will be able to tough it out in the comfort of my own home until the bean is well on his way. We'll see. The plus side of the hospital room is that they have the epidural machine permanently set-up next to the labor beds.

:o)

Another great thing about L&D is that while we were there we heard the unmistakable cry of a new little one entering the world. I got all wrapped up in the sterility of my surroundings that I forgot for a minute what happens on this side of the floor.

My baby will arrive here! I love it!

Then we strolled over to the recovery side where I'll spend 2-4 days getting settled with the bean. It was so much better!

This whole area was a lot warmer (carpeted, pretty wallpaper, etc) and relaxed. We still saw all of the medical equipment available in the rooms, but it wasn't nearly as scary. All of the rooms are private (HUGE plus!) and they even have an extra bed in each room for Dad to stay the nights, if he wants.

Tonight is our very last class of any kind...Breastfeeding 101.

To celebrate the end of classes, Drew and I are meeting at Steak 'N Shake beforehand for some dinner. I'm starving for it already! I think the bean must be having a growth spurt because I'm hungry all. the. time.

Yay for milkshakes and fries! {Gotta keep baby healthy}

1 comment:

  1. I had a very similar reaction when I went to pre-register and snuck a peak at the L&D ward. I believe it was when she said, "..and this is where the bed pulls apart when you're pushing.." that I decided I didn't need a tour just yet!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails