Wednesday, November 18, 2009

all packed up

I mentioned on Monday that I packed my various "baby" bags over the weekend. Heather asked that I post a list of the things I packed and I'm happy to do so!

While Drew and I were taking childbirth education classes we compiled quite a list of things we would like to have available both during labor and in the few days I'll be recovering at the hospital. Plus, I guess, we'll end up needing some things for a certain little bean that will be coming home with us.

Because of this I ended up with 3 separate bags that need to come along for the ride.

My labor bag has lots of things that {I hope} will be helpful in getting me through labor and delivery.

Inside you'll find:

  • rice filled heat wrap
  • washcloth {for a fresh, not hospital, -smelling cool face cloth}
  • Listerine Pocket Pacs {I hate, hate having bad breath}
  • cinnamon scented satchel {the hospital smell really bugs me, can you tell?}
  • slippers w/ hard bottom for walking the halls
  • Chapstick
  • paper plate to use as a fan
  • iPod + player
  • massaging tool {Nukkles}
  • warm socks
  • inexpensive robe
  • Photo/focal point to focus on
  • birth ball
  • all our notes on breathing techniques + labor positions
  • unscented massage cream
  • popsicles {not allowed to have real food}
  • book {in case the epidural happens and I can actually relax!}

Then, of course, I need some things for the 2-4 day hospital stay after the baby is born.

In this suitcase I have:

  • sweatpants {$5 each from Wal-Mart in case they get, um, yucky}
  • nursing tops
  • nursing PJ gowns {in case I have a C-section and don't want to wear pants}
  • toiletries
  • phone cards
  • more socks
  • maternity jeans to wear home {again, if I feel up to having any kind of real clothes on}
  • nursing pads + lanolin cream
  • nursing bras
  • granola bars for when I can finally eat again!

The hospital provides most of what the baby will need during his first few days, but I plan to bring a few things along anyway.

In his diaper bag is:

  • 2 coming home outfits:
  • 1 in size newborn
  • 1 in size 0-3 months {in case we have a BIG boy!}
  • warm, fleece hat for the ride home
  • a few diapers + wipes
  • burp cloth
  • pacifiers {I don't plan to use these for awhile, but you bet I'll have 1 on hand just in case}
  • 2 blankets
  • sample sized baby toiletries, including lotion, diaper rash cream, Purell, etc.

That's about it! I know it sounds like a lot, but it easily fit in a small suitcase, gym bag, and diaper bag. Drew has the option of staying at the hospital with me overnight, so if he isn't going home we want to have everything already with us!

Now all we need is a reason to put them in the car!

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if you plan to breastfeed or not but if you are then get the gumdrop pacis b/c they are the most like a mother's nipple...Cooper LOVES his and it doesn't produce nipple confusion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the tipes! Definitely some things I had not thought of! Better get to packing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great lists... I really need to pack my bag(s) as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you need anything at all just have someone call me and I'll pick it up on my way! I'm ready for the call everyday....maybe I should pack my bags :0)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails