Thursday, November 19, 2009

he was with the maasai before this

I'm convinced that Drew was a Maasai warrior in a previous life.

Not so much because he defends our home with spears and orinka (clubs), but because of his capacity for battle readiness from dead sleep.

The other night around 3:30 I was stumbling back to bed after going to the bathroom and I misjudged where I was. Getting in and out of bed is a bit of a production these days under the best circumstances. Adding in pitch-black darkness and the half-asleep state that I was in didn't help matters.

As I was raising my leg to swing myself back into bed, my knee bumped into my nightstand.

That's all.

Not a bang, not a crash...

A small bump and {probably} a grunt from me. I didn't knock over the lamp or cry out in pain. It really wasn't a big deal -- much less so than, say, stubbing a toe on the bed frame would have been.

Drew disagreed.

No sooner had I bumped my knee than he was sitting straight up and was over to my side of the bed asking if I was ok. Seriously, maybe he was in some kind of dream state, but it was amazing! I guess the bean and I really have him on high alert these days.

He didn't seem willing to take my word for it that, "yes, I'm fine. I just bumped my knee. No, I'm not in labor. Yes, the baby is fine. Mostly he's just tired and wants to get back in bed."

All this time I'm still standing next to the bed waiting for him to move so I could get in.

Eventually I had to shove him gently {I hope it was gently} and explain {more clearly, apparently} that I just wanted to get in bed and go back to sleep.

This calmed the warrior down and he was snoring again before I knew it.

What a sweetie -- so concerned about my well being. Don't worry, warrior friend, when the bean and I need you there won't be any question!

---------------------------------------------------------

As a sidenote....check out my ticker at the top of the blog.

Only 30 days to go!!

1 comment:

  1. When Ryan and I were in bed last night I told him about this post -- I thought it was hilarious! I'm not sure Ryan picked up on the humor though since he was almost sleeping. Drew is awesome! He will make a wonderful Dad!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails