Monday, October 12, 2009

lighten up, it's Monday

After reading through my last post, I realized that it's a bit of a downer.

It's 100% true, and I'm glad that I posted it, but I also know that Monday is an especially hard day of the week to read something bittersweet.

So I decided to add an additional antecdote from yesterday that really made me smile widely.

I was in the shelter's kitchen yesterday stirring a huge pot of chili when one of the women came in and said something like "you're having a baby?!"

Honestly, I looked down at my belly, then over to her in surprise. I have had a grand total of ONE stranger comment on my pregnancy so far. My first thoughts were (in this order):

1) Is she talking to me?
2) Did my water break and I didn't notice? Am I having the baby NOW?

Turns out, I am pregnant! And it's noticable! She was talking to me!

The poor woman looked a little scared because I hestitated for so long, but then my brain caught up with the conversation and I laughed. I confirmed that, yes, I am pregnant with my first baby.

Then she asked how many months along I was and I replied with the honest truth of 7.

That earned me an appraising look. I think the rest of our conversation went something like this:

me: I am. I'm 30 weeks, in my 7th month.

doubting woman: No, you're not.

M: Um, yes I am.

DW: No way. I looked like that at 4 months. There's just no way.

M: I'm pretty sure it's right. My doctor says that I'm on track for December 19th.

DW: Yeah, well...

Things kind of trailed off after that. We laughed about it, but I really don't think she believed me!

Then, everytime a new person came in to have dinner she would call over and make me stand up, then ask them if they believed I was 7 months.

Without fail they would say something like, "No way" or "I gained 100 lbs during my pregnancy!"

I was trying hard not to apologize for having a body shape that I can't control at all, but it wasn't easy.

I decided to take the whole experience as a huge confidence boost.

{However, I do plan to confirm with my doctor this afternoon that the bean is growing well}

2 comments:

  1. You do look great. Take it as a compliment! I'm sure baby is doing just fine. This is your first so it's pretty common to be smaller as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    I'm a college friend of your sister's (Erin) and I saw that she mentioned you on her own blog. I popped over to your site and found it so entertaining! You're a great writer and I wish you and your growing family the best!

    ~ Kelsey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails