Wednesday, August 26, 2009

nursery drama

Why is there drama with every project I undertake?

Why?

Is it just the pregnancy hormones making things seem like a bigger deal than they really are?

Of course, I have a story.

Back in May my mother-in-law and I went shopping and ordered my nursery furniture. Seeing as how baby bean isn't due until December this was really early, but we did it for a few reasons.

1) my in-laws live about 8 hours away from us and aren't able to visit very often
2) the furniture store said it would take 10-12 weeks for the items to arrive
3) the nursery is an empty guest room, so if it fills up with baby furniture a few months before baby arrives it's no big deal

Considering all of these factors we decided to go for it and place the order! You may remember back in June when I posted about the great stuff we picked out. I was really excited, but prepared for the long haul of waiting.

Fast-forward 12 weeks -- the maximum time they said it would take -- and I get the call, our furniture is in! Yay!

Of course, this store doesn't deliver on Saturday and will only give me a 6 hour window of delivery time possibility, so I have to take a 1/2 day of vacation from work to be home. This is a little annoying, but not a huge deal. After all, we are getting everything at once and I'm really excited to have the rest of the day at home to arrange things, make up the crib, etc.

The big day arrives.

The guys bring in everything and start assembling the crib. All is well until they go to put a stabilizer bar on the bottom and IT DOESN'T FIT. That's right, my brand new crib came with a bum bar.

My worst fear is that it will be another 12 weeks before the crib can be finished being assembled, but when I call the store they assure me it will only take 2 weeks to get the new bar. But...

They won't give me a more specific delivery time unless it "works out with their schedule."

What the what??? They're the ones who sent a defective crib to my house. They're the ones who wasted my vacation time. If they think I'm going to take more vacation to be home from 12-6pm in 2 weeks that's nuts.

I told them this (nicely) and they agreed to "do what they could." Still not very helpful and quite frustrating.

Fast-forward 2 weeks. The new bar has arrived! They can come Tuesday after 3:30! Perfect, I can rearrange my work schedule and be home then without taking vacation.

Yesterday when the guys come to put it on we're laughing and joking with each other. Having a great time getting this put behind us. Then...

IT'S NOT THE RIGHT BAR. It doesn't fit.

I was torn between crying and yelling. I'm actually proud of myself for keeping it together and being nice to the delivery guys. It really wasn't their fault. I insisted that they call the store right then and find out what we could do.

Fortunately, the store simply gave them the wrong bar and had mine back in the warehouse. The guys went to get it, put it on my crib, and we're good to go.

I'm a big fan of good customer service and I have to say that Berg's Baby & Teen in Cleveland stinks. They carry beautiful furniture and have (mostly) reasonable prices, but their customer service is terrible.

Not only was my order messed up twice, but they gave me a hard time about the delivery. I really think they at least owe me a phone call apology -- maybe some kind of freebie as well. It's a family run business local to Cleveland and I'll absolutely tell my baby-having friends about all of this hassle.

Things happen and orders get messed up, I understand that. If they had been apologetic and gracious I never would have said a bad word about it. In fact, I probably would have commented about how helpful they are. That's not the case.

All in all, I'm very grateful to have such a lovely room for the bean. It's all here and in 1 piece so I'm going to put this whole experience behind me!

Once we get all of the "details" put up in the nursery I'll post some photos. I know you're dying to see the crib that gave so much drama!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails