Tuesday, August 11, 2009

in the dark

Yesterday was an adventure.

For the last hour of my work day a fierce thunderstorm rolled in --- then rolled back out. It was pretty strong, but didn't last long and I didn't really think much of it. Just another summer storm.

I was really happy the rain was over by the time I walked to my car. It turns out that would be my lucky break of the evening.

As I was making the 10 minute walk to my car I noticed a lot of leaves and branches down along the road and an awful lot of backed up traffic. Having this much traffic stopped in the road as I walk to my car is really rare, so I was starting to get concerned.

When I got to my car I found a giant fallen tree limb covering the driveway. Awesome. Of course there's no one else around, so I have to (somehow) haul it out of the way so I can leave.

Ok, heavy labor done and I'm on my way. I get into the massive line of cars on the street and eventually get out of the way. On the commute towards home I see more and more big limbs down and start to think that maybe this storm was bigger than I thought.

I had planned to go to the grocery store after work to shop for the next 3 weeks and stuck to it. I hate grocery shopping, but what are you going to do -- we need food. The thought of a delicous spaghetti dinner when I get home spurred me on.

An hour later I roll up to my garage and can't figure out why my garage door opener isn't working. Then it occurs to me...we have no power.

Again, awesome.

I was able to unlock the side garage door and open the main door manually -- thank goodness!!

But then I remembered that I have a car load of groceries and no working refrigerator or freezer and my mood plummeted again.

All I could do was put them away as quickly as possible and hope the power came back on soon.

The time is 5:15.

Drew called me at 8:00 and said he was coming home. At this point I've eaten the only thing that wasn't refrigerated (Pop-Tarts) and am starving. The stove, microwave, etc are not working. So much for my spaghetti. I had him stop for something to eat, but by this point I'm past hungry and just cranky.

It's starting to get dark and the fact that we still don't have power is starting to annoy me. We found a couple candles and flashlights and decide to read in bed by battery power.

Here comes the good part.

We weren't laying there for long before the baby started kicking up a storm. He/she loves it when I lay down. Since we had nothing to distract us, we just laid there and felt the little movements while telling the baby stories. It was so nice! Drew hasn't been able to feel movements much, but last night he got the whole show.

I guess my day ended pretty well, all things considered.

:o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails