Wednesday, August 26, 2009

you can call me sugar

I passed my blood glucose test!

After chugging down 5 ounces of the super sweet orange drink I got my blood drawn and the doctor called to tell me that the results were normal.

Yay!

No gestational diabetes for me or baby.

The drink wasn't as bad as I had heard, but it was pretty nasty. Especially on a sensitive pregnancy stomach. It kind of tasted like Kool-Aid that someone didn't dilute enough.

I read the label to see what exactly was in it (I do work in a science lab after all) and was shocked to see that it contains 50 grams of glucose in 5 ounces. 50 grams!!

I weigh stuff like glucose all the time, so I have a pretty good visual of what kind of pile that is.

{It's big.}

Anyway, just wanted to share the great news!

I'm in the clear for pregnancy related tests until around 30 weeks when they look for Group B Strep.

I also found out yesterday that once I hit 28 weeks -- only 5 weeks away! -- I have to see my OB every 2 weeks. Does anyone else start this early? What in the world will we do every 2 weeks?? As it is now -- weight, blood pressure, pulse, urine, baby heartbeat, questions, done.

Badda bing, I'm outta there in 15 minutes. After my 45 minute commute to the office.

Don't get me wrong, I'm so grateful that things are going smoothly and I have quick check-ups on the bean. It's just another one of those pregnancy things that caught me by surprise. I guess a few more drives to the office is worth peace of mind!

:o)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for finding me and congrats on your first baby too! It is such an exciting time!
    I take my glucose test next month. Hopefully I will pass with flying colors, but definitely not looking forward to it!
    Cannot wait to see more on the the new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the glucose test!

    As for the increased exams... is 12 weeks before your due date really all that early to be increasing to 1 every 2 weeks? That's only 6 more visits =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My glucose test is in two weeks (at my 28-week appointment). And after that, I will also start going in every two weeks.

    Congrats on no GD!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails