Sunday, December 12, 2010

on the night you were born

I heard this story when I was pregnant and knew instantly that I wanted it to be the first book I read to my new little one.  That first night after he was born, I read this to Asher as he slept in my arms.  Those were our first quiet moments together and I'll have these memories close to my heart forever.



Today marks 52 weeks since Asher was born - tomorrow is his first birthday.  Has it really been 365 nights since my precious tiny entered the world?  I'll never forget that first night - and have loved every one we've had together since then.

On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered, "life will never be the same."



So enchanted with you were the wind and the rain that they whispered the sound of your wonderful name.



It sailed through the farmland high on the breeze...

over the ocean...



and through the trees...


until everyone heard it and everyone knew of the one and only ever you.



Not once had there been such eyes, such a nose, such silly, wiggly, wonderful toes.




For never before in story or rhyme {not even once upon a time}


has the world ever known a you, my friend, and it never will, not ever again...


Heaven blew every trumpet and played every horn, on the wonderful, marvelous night you were born.


Asher Thomas, you truly are loved beyond measure.

There will never be another you, my son.  Heaven celebrated and so did Daddy and I when you were born.  Life will never be the same - and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Tomorrow is your first birthday and we can't wait to celebrate with you!

*On the Night You were Born is by Nancy Tillman - text not complete here

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Asher!

    We love this book at our house, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Asher! We love you!

    P.S. we just got that book as a gift and I love it! Can't wait to read it to our little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So precious! Happy Birthday party day, Asher!

    We love that book, but your version and pictures are pretty fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so beautiful! I can't believe my baby boy will be one soon too. Where has time gone? I'm excited we'll be in Arkansas at my Nannie's farm for his 1st Birthday. It is where me & Becky had our first Birthday :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 1 Asher!!!! What a beautiful little story.... and a great post. :) Hope you guys have a great bday day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Asher!!!! Holy cow!!!
    Hope your first birthday is wonderful:)

    We love the book also. Always makes me cry. We just bought the recordable version and it's going to be one of her birthday presents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and now I need a kleenex...

    I will be off to Barns and Noble tomorrow to purchase this book for Mac so I can read it to him for his birthday on Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails