Saturday, December 18, 2010

nursing musings

I'm officially done nursing Asher.


I expected to be more upset over the end of this special part of our relationship, but I'm really not.  I think that's sign #1 that is was the right time.  I also expected that Asher would be more upset, but honestly he never batted an eye.  That was sign #2.

I was ready.  He was ready.  It was time.


For the past few weeks I have been getting less and less milk at each pumping session.  I think my body knew it was time to shut down production as well.  When Asher was born my goal was to nurse him through the first year - and I did.  I'm really proud and grateful that that was possible.

We had a little hiccup when Asher's milk protein allergy showed its ugly face around the 5 month mark.  Fortunately we were able to work through that and move on without having to stop nursing altogether.  Breastfeeding was the best choice for us and I'm really happy that it worked so seamlessly for 12 whole months.    


For those of you who are soon-to-be wean-ers {that one was for you, Ashlie - I'm still laughing about Brandon's comment...} let me give you some of the nitty gritty.

I was really concerned about reliving the engorgement discomfort that I had in the first few days after Asher was born.  That was awful and avoiding it was priority #1.  It turns out that the easiest way to steer clear of getting that oh-so-full feeling is to go s-l-o-w-l-y.  I dropped one nursing or pumping session a week until I was down to just nursing Asher first thing in the morning.  Once that week was up, I simply offered him milk in a cup that morning and didn't nurse or pump.  Later that day I pumped to relieve the build up, but that was it.  I haven't pumped since and feel great.

Like the epidural, I had a lot of fear leading up to it and nothing but smooth sailing during and afterward.


I'm a little sad that this special time with Asher is over, but mostly I'm thrilled to have my body back!  Woo hoo!

Good bye pump - don't let the door hit you on the way to the back of my closet.  :o)

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats on a smooth transition!

    I'm not ready, and I don't think A is either, but maybe I'm just holding on and should think of letting go? I'm kind of torn on this one.

    Congrats on one full year of nursing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making it a year! It's been quite a journey, but we made it! :) I am so ready to be done and finally get rid of the pump. Mine might end up in the trash though because it's having technical difficulties. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, well done, mama!! What an amazing accomplishment!! Asher will be forever greatful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOODBYE PUMP!!!! I felt the exact same way as you. I wasn't near as sad as I thought I would be, and Presley didn't care one bit. I knew we were ready, just like you and Asher knew. Welcome to having your boobies back to yourself;)

    Also, thanks for the "wean-er" shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on making it the full year!!!! What a wonderful thing to be able to do for Asher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on making it a whole year! You are awesome! It's hard work sometimes. I am glad to hear that you aren't as sad as you thought you'd be. I remember feeling that way with Cameron. I hope it's the same way this time around. Cameron weaned himself at about 19 months fully...and we did like you with dropping the feedings...ended up just doing morning and night for 5 minutes....then one day we were just done. Simple as pie. I remember being so happy to have my body back to myself as well. Ethan on the other hand...I'm not so sure will wean himself anytime soon. I might have to coach that one a little bit! Lol. He woiuld nurse all day if I let him! AHH! I think that is putting me in the need to have my body back mode sooner than later! We shall see what happens. Again, congrats on the great accomplishment of the Year!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails