Friday, December 3, 2010

growing up

Lately, I have been thinking about how I can encourage Asher to transition from bottles to a cup.  He's been drinking water from a cup with a straw for several weeks now, but we haven't had as much luck with drinking milk.  Usually he will take a sip or 2, then make a face and push it away.


Then the other night while drinking his bedtime bottle Asher suddenly pushed it away and tried to sit up.  This was pretty strange since he typically drinks every drop and there were still a couple ounces left.  It only took a few seconds for me to realize that he wanted to sit up so we could get right to his story!  Once I started to read he took the bottle back and finished up.

{This boy loves to read these days, by the way.  He'll bring me his books over and over again all day long!  All those toys to choose from and he picks a book - bless his heart - he's my son.}



Well, this might be the perfect solution!  I decided to try giving him his milk in a straw cup last night while reading story after story.  This worked like a charm!  He happily sipped away on my lap while I read all of his favorites.  When he was done drinking we finished up with Goodnight Moon and he went right to bed.

I almost started crying - where did my little baby go?  I'm torn between being really proud of him and sad that he is growing up so quickly.  This is a great thing for him - I know - it's just so much harder on me than it is on him!  I didn't expect that!

He is still nursing in the mornings, so we'll have that for a little while longer.  Plus, not having to wash all the bottle parts any more will be a huge bonus!

On a funnier book note, can you tell that Asher loves dogs?


He picks up this book and turns right to the dog, then yelps and looks over at me!


Mom, it's a dog!  A DOG!


Love it!

{Oh and for anyone who is wondering, we started out using the Nuby straw cup that you see in the first photo, but for some reason it keeps leaking on us.  Hmm...  I looked for a simpler option and found this cup from Munchkin at Wal-Mart for $2.  It's awesome!  Super easy for little hands to hold and, so far, doesn't leak at all.}

5 comments:

  1. Very cute pictures! My daughter loves books too, which thrills me. We are using the Avent sippy cups. I bought a couple of Nuby straw cups and had trouble with leaking as well.

    It's a little sad to see them growing up, isn't it! Mine turns one next week, and I'm wondering what happened to that little baby I brought home from the hospital ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holden started drinking from a straw cup a couple of months ago and now he is completely off of the bottle! I didn't think he would transition so quickly but he hasn't had a bottle in two days! We are also already on whole milk and he likes that much better than he did formula in his cup. I also have both of those cups and the Playtex lock and go with the straw work WONDERFUL also! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pics!! We have that same Nuby cup with the handles which Jack uses for water and it works great. We have had some problems with leaks, but only if he holds it upside down. I actually just got the larger ones without the handles and they are great! I'm hoping to start putting milk in them and eliminate bottles completely by the end of the month!

    Asher is such a big boy. That's great that he was able to do that. And we finish the night with Goodnight Moon too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww - what a big boy! Ava loves to read also, and LOVES dogs. She runs around saying, "Oof oof" all day long!

    Can you believe his birthday is next week?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW..once again, I can't believe the similarities with our babies! Seraya loves her books too...she favors those over any toy! Her daddy says she is gonna be a nerd like me! And she loves dogs as well. When she gets to the picture of a dog in her book she kisses it! Thanks for the cup suggestion. I need to work on giving her formula, soon to be milk, in a cup since she will be turning one in 10 days....once again, Asher is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails