Tuesday, December 14, 2010

birthday party!

Asher had his first birthday party on Sunday afternoon!


For the past few weeks I've been planning and prepping for this all-important day!  We kept it small - just family and close friends - but of course it was super special for my little guy.  After all, you only turn ONE once!





I couldn't find a theme that I really loved, so I decided to go simply with bright, primary colors.  After a lot of searching {I'm never satisfied that the first thing I find is the best} I found these fantastic signs from Sophie and Emma on Etsy.  They turned out so cute!






Some of you were asking about Asher's shirt - I can't claim credit for that either - it's another Etsy find!  Crystal over at Two Kangaroos did an amazing job making it.  She has tons of fabric/font/stitching options and had a really fast turn around time.


Of course, there had to be a little touch of mommy's hand in the decorations, so I made these hanging poms.  I first got this idea from Bonnie who made some for Jarrett's first birthday.  A quick internet search on how to make them and I was in business.  It was so easy and really added a fun POP of color!



I also made some cupcake toppers for our table centerpiece.  Super easy and fun to do.  I love doing some of these things myself!


Asher had a lot of fun playing with next to his friends during the party.  There was a brief meltdown at one point {I think Asher got a little overwhelmed, plus he missed a nap}, but overall he did great considering all of the people in his house!


Some of you might recognize this big smile!  We were so excited that Jack and Rene could come and celebrate with Asher!  Sometimes it feels like this blog world doesn't have real people behind it - it's so fun to meet blogging friends in real life.  Ha!



My favorite part of the party was Asher's smash cake.  He is extremely hesitant with new foods, so I was a little concerned that he wouldn't even try the cake.  Ash definitely hates having messy hands, so I helped him dig in at first and offered him a taste of frosting off of my finger.  That was all the encouragement he needed!  Of course he loved cake - who doesn't?!



We are so grateful to have such loving, supportive friends and family who came to celebrate Asher's first year with us.  There's no way we could have gotten through this first year of parenthood without all of your support and care.

8 comments:

  1. Fun!! Your decorations were so cute and you did a great job on the poms... how many pieces of tissue did you use for each?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - the poms turned out great! I'd love to make some for A's party in January (we're getting through the holidays so everyone can be there for her party!)!!

    Looks super fun! And I remain so jealous that you and Rene are able to get together - I wish I lived in the area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it was a great party and how fun to have Rene and Jack make it!!!! I wish you all lived closer!!!!! B doesn't really have any friends his age yet.... I need to change that soon...!!! Glad it went so well.. Asher is a very cute 1 year old little guy!!!! HAPPY 1 ASHER!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the bright colors! You did a fabulous job, Emily. I cannot believe our boys are 1! I recently noticed that many of the blog moms have boys. :)

    That is so great that Rene and Jack could be there to share this special day with you guys. I wish you all lived closer to me so we could get together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Everything looked SO CUTE!!! I love the decorations! Cute Poms! How awesome to be able to get Jack and Rene there too! Love all the pictures too! Happy Birthday again Asher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love his birthday shirt! Looks y'all had a wonderful first birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a great party. Thanks for inviting us!! Jack had fun playing with Asher's toys! :)
    Oh, and I want to tell you that I absolutely adore Asher's nursery furniture. It's so beautiful and will be with him for a long time.

    Also, did you make those chocolate covered pretzels? They were delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails