Tuesday, September 22, 2009

27 weeks

So far 27 weeks has been pretty exciting!




But not in a great way...

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers over the past few days. The bean and I seem pretty stable now. My doctor thinks that I was dehydrated and that's what led to the contractions I was having on Sunday.

Now I'm keeping a big glass of water nearby at all times!

It's so hard to feel like the baby's health is completely on my shoulders (or strapped to my hips). As a first time mom I have no idea what pains are "normal" pregnancy aches and what could indicate pre-term labor. While I don't want to be running to in to the doctor all the time, I'm going to do what I need to do to keep my little boy safe. If that means getting on a first name basis with the nurses and residents on every shift, then so be it!

Actually, all the sudden it seems like I'm systematically working my way through the list of pregnancy symptoms that "What to Expect" and Baby Center say you might experience. Last night it was...leg cramps!

Turns out that it's extremely uncomfortable to be awoken in the middle of the night by a giant charlie horse in the calf. I'm a little surprised (but glad) that my gasp didn't wake Drew up. He just kept snoring...thanks, honey.

Despite the theme of the previous few paragraphs, I really am trying not to complain too much. This pregnancy has been great so far and I'm so blessed to have a healthy bean in there!




Next week we start the 3rd trimester, wow! Only 13 weeks to go until I meet my little guy -- that sounds both really close and really far away.

How far along: 27 weeks
Net weight gain/loss: up 12 lbs.
Maternity clothes: definitely -- my belly has started to expand a lot more rapidly recently
Stretch marks: not yet
Belly button: still an innie, but pops out after dinner, then goes back in. Weird!
Sleep: good. Except for the leg cramps. And bathroom breaks. And hip pain. And kicks that wake me up. :o)
Baby movement: very strong, very frequent!!
Food cravings: pumpkin cookies
Food aversions: can't take the texture of chicken breasts
What I miss: nothing this week -- I love expecting the bean!
Looking forward to: actually starting his quilt some day....
Best moment this week: getting a clean bill of health after my impromptu L&D visit
Milestones: the baby can taste lots of flavors, so I need to eat all kinds of stuff for him!

5 comments:

  1. I smiled at the part where you can't stand the texture of chicken breast because for a few weeks I could not stand eat chicken off the bone...it grossed me out!

    Pumpkin cookies sound yummy right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you've stabilized! I have been having bouts of Braxton Hicks nightly, but so far nothing to call L&D about. Scares the crap out of me sometimes though!

    Also, another huge thank you for the tip on the free 3D ultrasounds! I would probably still be whacking out about if she was really a 'she'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad things are OK. I had a huge leg cramp last night (my first) and it nearly woke me up with tears in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wait to feel the "very strong, very frequent!!" baby movement! Bring on the kicks little one, Aunt Erin is coming to see you! A couple more weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I found your blog and have been reading for a couple of weeks now. I'm 27 weeks today, so very close to you! I agree with not knowing what is normal and what's worth being concerned about. As we get closer to the due date, I assume it will only get worse. At least we only have 3 months left! Good luck and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails