Thursday, August 30, 2012

reviewing my pins

I don't know about you, but every time I pin something part of me wonders..."will this really work/taste good/be easy/save me time?"

Recently I've tried a bunch of pinned items and meals and wanted to let you all know how they came out so you can try it yourself {or avoid it completely...}

First up, a couple recipes. I've been pretty bored with our usual go-to meals and decided to try a few new ones from my now we're cookin' board.

Blackened Chicken and Cilantro Lime Quinoa

{photo source}


This was so great! It was really easy to put together and I loved that it involved a dry rub, rather than a marinade. All too often time gets away from me and I forget to get the meat marinating in time for dinner. This needs no lead time. We didn't find it to be too spicy at all, so I didn't bother making the cream sauce for on top. Even Asher liked it and that's really saying something.

Buffalo Chicken Tacos

{photo source}


Yummm - I've been having major buffalo chicken cravings and this totally satisfied me and baby. Really easy, really tasty - another winner. Make it, you won't regret it.

Honey-Lime Chicken Skewers

{photo source}


I'm sensing a chicken theme here - oh well. This one, too, was delicious! It does involve a marinade, but I managed to get it on in time to let the chicken pieces soak it all up before grilling. I cut up the chicken into skewer sized pieces before plunking them in the marinade and I think that really helped the flavor soak in.

Blueberry Baked Oatmeal

{photo source}


Hey, it's not a chicken dish! I actually posted about this awhile back when I first made it. It's delicious, but lasted us nowhere close to the week that the original author mentions - we loved it too much! It is also a little too much work for me on a busy morning, but on a Saturday it would be great.

Bacon Ranch Slow Cooker Chicken

{photo source}


This one I'm going to have to give a "just ok". The flavor was nice, but despite following her alternative directions to avoid the yogurt curdling in the sauce mine still did and that was a major turn off. Not awful, but I probably won't make it again so I guess that makes it a deal breaker in my book.

We've been trying to eat healthier, so I actually haven't tried many of the desserts I've pinned. Fear not - we won't be able to hold out much longer.

I have also tried out a few cleaning tips.

Towel Refresh

{1} wash towels in hot water with 1C vinegar
{2} wash again in hot water with 1/2 C baking soda

Either my towels weren't that bad or this just doesn't make a huge difference because I really didn't notice much change. Maybe someone else had more luck? It certainly didn't hurt them!

Shower Cleaner

1 part Dawn dish detergent + 1 part vinegar in a spray bottle

I used this on my shower walls and especially on the glass surround. It worked great! I will say however, that a little goes a looong way. Dawn is super sudsy and the first time I really doused everything and it took me forever to rinse away. The vinegar smells a little, but once it's rinsed the smell left immediately. I give this one an A+. It will be a new bathroom staple for me.

Do you have any pins that are amazing {or lackluster?} - I'd love to know about them!

 

4 comments:

  1. Cool ideas... I especially want to try the last two for the towels and shower door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I love pinterest reviews :) I'll have to get on mine.
    I do the vinegar+dawn in my shower and the vinegar smell is just too much for me and I have to go in another room until it dissipates. Once it's washed off, you're right, you can't smell it but it's overwhelming right after spraying!
    I have a board on my pinterest with all my "tried and true" pins that I go back to when needed. I only put stuff on there that I actually enjoyed or use. Good way to organize :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually started a board for pins I tried and liked. I need to add more that I've made to it. I definitely have several pins I've tried that we're total fails. I should blog about them too. Thanks for sharing!

    P.s. the towel thing is kinda here or there. I think that it would mainly just help get buildup of detergent or fabric softener out which could be causing them to smell funky after sitting wet. We don't use fabric softener anyway (vinegar is a natural fabric softener) so it probably wouldn't do much for our towels either. Probably has to do with how hard the water is too. Glad your towels didn't really need it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're looking for chicken dishes I would definitely make Chicken Enchilada Pasta: http://pinterest.com/pin/234187249343471080/. It's one of our favorites and it makes enough to freeze half for later. Another tasty one is Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken: http://pinterest.com/pin/234187249343398356/. It's not particularly healthy, but tastes just like Chinese take-out. However, it's time consuming to make so I only make it on weekends.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails