Monday, August 13, 2012

nursery projects {DIY crib skirt}

In the nursery this time around I decided that I didn't want a bedding set with bumpers, which means only buying a crib skirt and sheets {I've been planning to make a quilt myself all along}.  Have you ever shopped for a la carte baby bedding at box stores?  Yeah, they have notsomuch.  I looked around a bit and was really disappointed in the options.  They were all very princess-y and not at all what I was envisioning.

After this disappointment I went to my go-to second option - Etsy!  Of course I found wonderfully beautiful custom options - with prices to match.  Most of the crib skirt + sheet sets were going for around $160 or so, which is more than I was hoping to spend for 2 items.  Plus, I was pretty sure I could make it myself.  So...that's what I did!

Thanks to Drew watching Asher all day {thank you, thank you Drew!} I was able to get out on Saturday to shop for some bedding fabrics and work on dressing up miss bug's crib.

With the pink ruffle curtains making such a big statement in the room I wanted something darker to center the space and give it a little depth.  I also wanted something modern and geometric to contrast the super girl-y ruffle explosion over on the windows.  ha!  I decided on this navy blue and white chevron fabric.  While I was fabric shopping I saw the pink trim and thought it would be the perfect accent to tie the room together.  In my {very humble} opinion it really makes the skirt.  :-)  

DIY crib skirt

I kind of followed a tutorial online, but mostly ended up winging it myself based on my crib dimensions.


Honestly, it was super simple.  I didn't take photos as I was going, but here are the basic steps.  If anyone wants more details, just ask!

{1} measure your crib side lengths + the length of the drop from the crib platform to the floor

{2} add 2" per side of length for hemming

{3} add 2" on the bottom width for hemming + 4" on the top width for hemming and adjustability space

For example, my front crib length was 51" and a 16" drop, so I cut my panel 55" long and 22" wide.

I made my crib skirt in 3 different pieces.  I'd highly recommend doing it this way.  My crib had some bars that attach the mattress platform to the crib sides and they would have been really hard to work around if the skirt was all one piece.

{4} iron the cut fabric smooth, then do a double fold over to capture the fraying, cut edges within a closed hem {I did it this way because I don't own a serger}

{5} do a straight stitch along the edges to hem it all nicely

I made my skirt adjustable because I hate having a dragging crib skirt as the mattress is lowered.  This was simple enough too.  Since my crib has a wire platform, I sewed ribbons to the top edge of each piece so I can tie them to whatever height is best.



{6} cut 2 pieces of ribbon, 8" long each

I did 6 sets of 2 for my long front and 4 sets for the short sides

{7} using a zig zag stitch attach the ribbons securely to the top of the panel.  It looks ugly, but no one will see it anyway

Now for the final steps - adding the ribbon trim:

{8} place the ribbon trim along the bottom edge + pin it in place

{9} straight stitch along the trim, making several back stitches at the beginning and end

That's it!


I also bought some coordinating fabric to make a crib sheet, but I haven't gotten around to making it yet.  I used one of Asher's solid navy sheets in the meantime and I really like the way it looks.


It's so fun and satisfying to see things go from a piled heap of fabric to something pretty and useful!  Not to mention the money savings - my total for the skirt {fabric, trim, thread} was $40.  Since I loved these fabrics I thought it was well worth it!  :-)

14 comments:

  1. It looks great! I'll be sure to send you our crib dimensions one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my word, emily! LOVE this! i love the colors together! you did an awesome job on all of it! cannot wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! Love the color combo. I don't know if I mentioned before but I LOVE those ruffle curtains you got. They are so cute. I wish I could do a girly window treatment...but alas the youngest 2 share a room. Can't wait to see how this pretty room turns out for little miss bug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! Maybe you should charge like $10 less than what you saw on Etsy and sell your own craftiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Emily! You should be the one selling them on Etsy ;) they are perfect for that sweet little nursery

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing!! You are super mom! I wish I had the talent to make beautiful things. I agree....you should open your own Etsy shop! I know you've heard it before but it's true. I might need your services one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where do u find this navy/white chevron material? I am having a hard time finding it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did u find that chevron material? I can't seem to find it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found the chevron material at a local sewing store here in Raleigh, but I know you can order it through fabric.com as well. It's Navy Zig Zag by Riley Blake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Emily, I'm gettng ready to make the crib skirt for my granddaughter's crib. Her crib, like yours, has the metal bracket attached to the bed and side. I can't figure how to work around it. Can you explain in more detail what you did?. Her bedskirt will be gathered at the top, and I love the idea about the ribbons. I think I will do that, but I just can't figure the brackets on the sides. Please help. Thanks,
    Wicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I made the skirt in 3 pieces I simply tied each end as close as I could to the metal bracket. Once the mattress is in place the skirt pieces come close enough together that you can't really see any gap or any metal bracket. Is that what you are wondering? If not, please let me know and I'll try to help more!

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much for this tutorial! It was exactly what I needed. Easy to follow and I love the results of my little cowboy's bandana print crib skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! Thanks for your comment. Do you have a blog - I'd love to see your cowboy crib skirt!

      Delete
  12. I am doing custom crib skirts for crib beds in any drop length you want in my online bedding store www.LinensnCurtains.com and already did it for many buyers. Just write to me from site's contact us page and let me do it for you at very reasonable price in creative patterns.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails