Wednesday, August 15, 2012

from the sewing room

A few of my favorite embroidery websites were having BIG sales last week {like 80% off}, so I bought a couple Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas appliques!  Obviously it's early to be making holiday shirts, but I had a couple special ladies we wanted to give gifts to and this was the time I had to do it.

Last week I showed you the simple t-shirt and shorts set I was sending to Scarlett for her 1st birthday/end of summer celebration.  Well, I decided that a long sleeved pumpkin shirt would be the perfect addition to the gift and would transition her nicely into the rapidly approaching fall.


This shirt ended up so cute!


pumpkin applique - found here
embroidery font - found here

The ruffles around the neck are cute, but it made doing the applique tricky.  I had to avoid that area, so the pumpkins are lower down on the belly then I'd like.  It was SO hard for me to find a plain, girls' long sleeved size 18 month t-shirt this time around.  I feel like finding the blanks is the toughest part of this whole process sometimes!  Now whenever I find shirts that have a plain front and are a good price I stock up - there will always be a boy/girl at any given size in hot or cold seasons in my life.  ha!

The other shirt I made was for our friend Olivia.  She was one of Asher's BFFs in Virginia and is visiting us today so we wanted to have a little something to give her.  :-)  I decided to try a different applique and made her a Thanksgiving turkey.  This applique was more complicated and I learned a few things along the way.  I hate, hate giving gifts that aren't perfect, but Drew assured me it was nice enough.  Hopefully only I see all the mistakes!


{Olivia is Asher's age and I was easily able to find a plain tee in size 3T at the same store where I struggled to find an 18mo - go figure...}

turkey applique - found here
embroidery font - found here

Now I need to get working on Asher's first day of school shirt {he starts preschool 2 days after we return from the beach!} and on some goodies for miss bug.  So far she has nothing and that's just not acceptable.  ha ha!

5 comments:

  1. check out dharma trading company. that is where my friend is ordering blanks. They seem very reasonable and great quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So SO adorable. Love them both. You are so sweet. Im sure they will both love their shirts.

    P.S. Asher is going to preschool already?! There is nowhere her that takes them before 3 1/2! I'm sure he'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome - you're such a great crafter! I've seriously got to learn to sew - we love monogrammed things and Ava has none!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you please tell me which embroidery machine you got? I want to add it to my Christmas list!!! :) SUPER DUPER CUTE stuff girl!! You should open an etsy shop! ;) that's what I want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely adorable, Emily! Please say hello to Helen and O for us! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails