Thursday, July 22, 2010

how 'bout them apples

Asher tried some jarred baby food applesauce today {forgetful mommy neglected to thaw anything for this afternoon} and loved it!

I really want to make him some, especially since fall is right around the corner and apples will be extra fresh and affordable.  The thing is....applesauce kind of intimidates me.

That's why I'm sending my plea for help out into the blog-osphere!

Has anyone made baby food applesauce?

What kind of apples do you use?  One kind?  A mixture of kinds?

How do you cook them?  Steam?  Bake?

Do you add any spices?  When can babies have spices, by the way?

Thanks for helping me get over my fear of pureed apples.  You are good friends.  :o)

4 comments:

  1. I got my way from Martha Stewart show she used golden del. and I steamed them. I got to the point where I could add steam plums or blue berries too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been making Jack's applesauce from the start. It is so delicious and he loves it! The first time I did it I used all one kind. Then I decided to be adventurous and I made a batch using 2 braeburns, 1 red delicious, and 1 gala. I steamed the apples and pureed them with some cinnamon. Babies can definitely have spices. So far Jack has only had cinnamon, but as he starts eating more, I will be introducing other spices. This applesauce was so yummy that I even made some for myself and a coworker to try.

    I don't think you could go wrong with the types of apples you choose to use. Have fun with it!

    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipspices.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to use one kind - I'm lazy? - and them just peel and slice them, put them in a covered pan with a little bit of water and then steam them until they're soft (~6-8 minutes). Then I just pop them into the food processor, and voila! Applesauce. It's one of Ava's favorites, and probably one of the easiest. I do this same thing with pears and peaches, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i made his applesauce the first time. i don't remember what apples. but i think i read it doesn't matter. i decided to stop making applesauce b/c of cost. it was much cheaper to buy the natural unsweeten applesauce in the big jar (like mott's).
    i think i'll start making his applesauce when we get apples cheap from the farm. i think we'll pick some this year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails