Friday, March 19, 2010

your lucky day {I need help}

Two posts from Emily in one day? Friday is great for so many reasons!

I'm back because I need some help.

If there are any experienced Moms who have gone through this before or if it's happening to you now I'd love to hear your advice {or empathy!}

First, Asher is doing so much better with his naps!



I noticed over the monitor the other night that he was awake, but quiet in his crib for almost half an hour before falling asleep, so I reasoned that he is now able to put himself to sleep if given the chance.

Enter Mommy boot camp: I soothed him for a few minutes at nap time yesterday, then gave him a kiss, laid him down and left the room. Naturally there was crying. I planned to give it 10 minutes, then go back if he was still hysterical. Amazingly he cried for only 5 minutes, then played quietly for 15 minutes, then fell asleep for 45 minutes!

I'm hoping that eventually we can skip past the inital crying, but for now I'll take it.

I'm getting to my questions...

Last week Asher decided to abandon his pacifiers. Totally and completely. He simply refuses to take one if it's offered. Mostly I'm ok with this but now I have no way to soothe him when I can't pick him up {ie - in the car seat, etc}.

Did this happen to anyone else?

How do you soothe your little one when they can't be picked up?

Ok, once you've solved this for me I have another question...

Remember earlier this week when I took the bumpers out of Asher's crib? Well, it took him less than a week to get into trouble without them. I went in to get him this morning and found his arm between the crib slats.

Awesome.

It wasn't really stuck, but he doesn't have the coordination to get it back in. I'm afraid he might twist and really hurt himself sometime. What else can I use? I don't want to put the bumpers back in because of the suffocation hazard he seems determined to try.

Ok, last one...
Has anyone else noticed a growth spurt around 3 months?
For the past few weeks Asher has been very reliably sleeping through the night, just waking up to eat once between 3-5am. Then just this week he started getting up 2x every night absolutely starving. Is he just having a growth spurt? I really hope this passes soon -- I miss my sleep!


This parenting stuff is thrilling, huh? And I thought my old job was challenging!

Thanks for your help and advice!

4 comments:

  1. You can get the breathable bumpers! They;re stable, but mad of mesh so that he can still breathe if he gets against them, but it keeps little arms and legs out of the slats. A set costs about $40, and you can get them at target, walmart, babiesrus, diapers.com, etc.

    We have the white ones : http://www.flickr.com/photos/34936755@N04/4433932848/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to suggest the breathable bumpers also!

    With regards to the 3-month growth spurt, that's very common. Once it passes, he'll start sleeping again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neither of my girls have EVER taken a pacifier. As far as soothing her in the car I make sure she has fun stuff to look at/hit at on her carseat. I have also found that she adores baby einstein and that can keep her distracted from 5-10 minutes.

    There is a growth spurt at 3 months. I'm pretty sure Brynn already hit it because she looks HUGE to me now.

    As far as Easter, last year we traveled to families houses. This year with 2 under 18 months we will be staying home. I am hoping to hide eggs (pretty much out in the open) and fill them with fruit loops for Sophie to find and open :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a breathable bumper in Jack's crib. I think I ordered it from Target.com. And he's never taken a pacifier even though I've really tried. But he's also been really good and doesn't get too fussy unless he's hungry or tired. He sucks on his hands a lot too. If Asher doesn't already suck his fingers or thumb, he'll probably start now that he's not taking a pacifier. My friend said her son stopped wanting a pacifier and then found his thumb.

    I think Jack hit his 3 month growth spurt a bit early. He was extra tired during the day for a couple days and wanting to eat more often. Is Asher also eating more frequently during the day? It should only last a couple of days and then he'll be back on schedule!

    Just when you think you've got this parenting thing figured out, everything changes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails