Wednesday, July 15, 2009

baby beats

I belong to an online community of moms-to-be and have heard ad infinitum about how much these ladies love their at-home fetal dopplers.

For those of you who don't hear about this stuff all the time, a fetal doppler is a machine you use to listen to the baby's heartbeat. The heartbeat is strong, but still too quiet to be heard with a stethoscope, so you need an amplification system.

Enter the fetal doppler!

These are the same instruments the doctors use to listen to the heartbeat during office visits. Apparently the desire to have one available all the time led to a few companies opening up to offer the dopplers for rental. These high quality dopplers are typically around $500 to buy, so renting 1 for about $25 a month is pretty reasonable!

For the first few months of my pregnancy, I resisted. I was able to hear that heartbeat at my 2nd doctor's visit and felt comfortable that everything was going well.

However...

during this 4th month I started to feel less at ease. I expected to feel some movement by now (but still haven't) and wanted assurance that the bean was well in there.

So...

I caved! I rented a doppler from Baby Beat and haven't regretted it for a minute.




I love, love being able to hear the heartbeat to start and end my day. It's such a nice connection to the bean that Drew and I can share together. I plan to send it back at the end of the month and will be ok with that. It was just what I needed for this in between time. The bean is starting to pop my belly and will be moving like crazy soon, so that should be enough assurance for me.




If you're expecting a baby, I highly recommend it!

1 comment:

  1. A doppler is great and I had one with my first pregnancy, but I became completely neurotic...so, this time I'm trying to fight it :)

    They are a lot of fun though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails