Thursday, August 5, 2010

parched

Asher and I have been working on his drinking from a cup.  By 'working on' I mean that I offer him a cup and he looks at it disdainfully.

I've read that having your baby/toddler drink through a straw is preferable to the spouted sippy cups because the straw sends the liquid past their teeth and {if they are drinking juice} keeps any sugar from immediately coating the pearly whites. I don't plan on giving Ash juice any time soon, but we'd might as well be prepared for the inevitable and teach him to use a straw sooner rather than later.

Don't get me wrong...we have a whole cabinet full of sippy cups and Asher will undoubtedly use them at some point.  However, I found this great cup at Babies 'R Us that has a Camelback-style straw that is spill proof, but still a straw, so we've been trying to drink using that.

A few weeks ago, I filled the cup with water and started to offer it several times throughout the day.  Asher took a great big sip once and got a mouthful of water.  This experience was obviously disappointing because he just let it all dribble out and down his shirt.  Water is not tasty like milk. 

Sorry, friend.

Since then he would chew on the straw, but wasn't willing to suck up any water.

Until yesterday!


I guess rolling around, trying to crawl, and playing with his toys really makes a boy thirsty because once Asher caught sight of his cup he made a beeline for it and never looked back.  He drank and drank. 


So cute!


I've offered his cup a few times since then and he drinks a little each time.  He always "tells" me he's done by letting the water he doesn't want drip all over.  Or he raspberries it back at me.  Nice.

He still can't really coordinate well enough to hold the cup and drink from it, but we'll get there.  I'm not in a rush for any of this, just excited that he seemed to get it!  Plus, it's so hot out this summer I'd love for him to be able to have a drink while we're out and about. 

Way to go, Mr. A!

5 comments:

  1. My son had the most AWFUL time trying to be broken from those types of cups. He wouldn't even try a regular cup except the straw-type cup. I'm talking a nine month battle of breaking him. it was a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the cup suggestion! I'm excited to try it out. Way to go, Asher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am anxious to give this straw cup a try... B doesn't quite get the normal sippy cup...he just chews on the mouth piece and water/juice tends to go EVERYWHERE, mainly all over the front of him. Silly kid. But we try every day and hoping it will get better...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A's been having a hard time with sippy cups due to the tipping motion, so this may be just what we need! YAY Asher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I am a new reader! Please follow me back at The Nutritionist Reviews and Giveaways: http://couponclippingnutritionist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails