Wednesday, August 18, 2010

funny story

Blogging about my Expecting the Bean book reminded me of a funny birth story that I forgot to tell you all! 

{Plus, I want it recorded for Asher's 1st year book!}

During my first day in the hospital after Asher was born the nurse brought in some paperwork for me to look over.  It was all of Asher's details {birth weight, length, bilirubin levels, etc} as well as the medicines/vitamins that they were giving me. 

Since it was a hospital form it automatically included all of my details {weight, height, birthday} and medical appointments that are on the schedule.  As the nurse was talking me through all of the info, our conversation went something like this:

Nurse:  You see here that you have some appointments booked.  It looks like you have one in 6 weeks with your OB for a postpartum check-up and, hmm...what's this?  You're scheduled to report to Labor & Delivery on Wednesday 12/16 at 7am?  That's in 2 days...what could that be for?

Me:  That's for my induction.

Nurse:  What?  Your induction?  Um, you just had a baby.

{I guess she thought I was high on painkillers and forgot about the whole experience...despite the fact that this was the scene she walked in on}


Me:  Yeah, I know.  I was scheduled for an induction on Wednesday.  Don't they usually cancel those when you get admitted for a birth?

Nurse:  They should.  We'd better get this straightened out. 

A few minutes later I noticed that there was a number on my paperwork to call to reschedule/cancel appointments.  So I called it.  From my hospital room phone.

Receptionist:  Labor and Delivery

Me:  Hi.  I'm calling to cancel an appointment for my induction on Wednesday.

R:  Oh, ok, why are you canceling?

Me:  Well...mostly because I already had my baby.  In fact, I'm right down the hall.

R:  What?  You're here now?  Why didn't anyone tell us?

Me:  I just did.  Why didn't the hospital tell you?  I'm not sure.  At any rate, let's get me off the schedule.  I already had a baby and I'd really like to make that big ole IV bag of Pitocin available for the next lady who needs it.

I love that I had to cancel my induction while still in the hospital!  Medical efficiency at its best!

{By the way, thanks for all the info about Blurb.  I'm going to check it out.  Maybe they can make Asher's 1st year book!}

4 comments:

  1. Too funny! And such an accurate portrayal of our health care system...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that's funny! Talk about lack of communication between departments! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that picture!! it's so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails