Wednesday, August 11, 2010

dairy free's the life for me

Back by popular demand, dairy free recipes!  Here's what Drew and I had for dinner over the weekend....


Pork BBQ and Cole Slaw

Yum!!

This is a great weekend meal because the pork BBQ is best when cooked low and slow.  Drew is mostly in charge of making the pork, so I'm working from his, um, loose directions.  He tends to be a little of this, a little of that kind of chef. 

Day 1:

  • Dry rub the pork roast and refrigerate overnight

1T paprika
1/2 T brown sugar
1/2 T chili powder
1/2T ground cumin
3/4 tsp pepper
1tsp salt
1tsp cinnamon (this makes a HUGE difference, use it!)
1tsp garlic powder

Mix together and rub over trimmed 3+lbs pork roast

  • Make the cole slaw and refrigerate overnight
1 bag Cole Slaw mix {salad section of grocery store}
1/2 C mayo
1/2 T apple cider vinegar
3T sugar

Pour Cole Slaw mix (cabbage + carrots) into large bowl
Sprinkle with generous salt and pepper
Mix remaining 3 ingredients to make the dressing
Pour dressing over cole slaw mix
{note: it won't seem like there is enough dressing, but the salt causes a lot of water to come out of the cabbage overnight.  Give it a stir the next morning and make sure it's wet enough for your taste}

Day 2:

Cook pork roast in the Crock-Pot on low for 6ish hours
Once cooked through, remove from the Crock-Pot and shred with forks/fingers
Put pork back in Crock-Pot and cover with bottled BBQ sauce
Stir up and cook on low for another couple hours

The pork is already fully cooked, so whenever you want to eat go ahead and dig in!

We like to eat our sandwiches 'Southern Style' by putting a big dollop of Cole Slaw right on top of the BBQ.

{I also like to have some on the side}

Drew also really likes to put raw onions on top of his BBQ.  Seeing as how raw onion is my kryptonite, I skip this step.

That's it!  I love that this recipe is completely dairy-free with no modifications.  It feels like I'm missing out on less when I can eat the whole recipe as it was intended.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE pork BBQ....it's one of my new favorites! I had it this weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love BBQ Pork! Looks delish! I may just have to make it in the next couple days!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails