Friday, December 16, 2011

home for the holidays

I'm linking up for Kelly's Korner today for the holiday tour of homes!  Last year I didn't really get many of our Christmas decorations out at all.  Asher was really into everything and it felt like I'd be running in circles replacing everything that he tore down.  This year he is able to understand when I say "that's for looking - not touching" and will leave most stuff alone, so I got out our bigger tree and a few other goodies.


I just love Christmas and Christmas decorations, so we decorate early!  Our tree has been up since just after Thanksgiving {I do have some rules - not ruining Thanksgiving is one of them}. 

And yeah - this ball has been rolling back there constantly.  It's now a permanent part of our Christmas decor.  Hey - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.


Each year Drew and I have a tradition to give each other a Christmas ornament as a gift.  Since Asher arrived we've included him in this tradition as well.  I love getting out my ornaments each year and remembering when it joined our family.  :-)



Everybody needs a hippopotamus for Christmas!


Asher loves to sit at our dining room table and catch a glimpse of himself in our mirrored tree.  It was pretty funny watching him try to figure out what was going on the first time he sat down.  This tree and snowflake candlestick holders were from Crate&Barrel a few years ago - love that place!



There are still a few of my favorite items that I didn't get out this year - my nativity being a big one.  I really, really love my Willow Tree nativity, but I just didn't have the space {or energy} to put it up this time around.  Next year for sure!  We also don't have a fireplace in this house, but I made sure our stockings were hung by the, er, bannister with care.  :-)



Since Christmas isn't Christmas without a nativity we had to get out Asher's "Little People" Nativity.  I adore this set!  It's all plastic {read: impossible for him to break} and we end up talking about the Christmas story every day - yay!  At first we had it in his toy bin and would set it up as I told the story, but more often then not Asher's little boy-ness would come out and he'd trample the poor Nativity scene like Godzilla did Japan.




I decided to transfer it to a relatively "safe" place where it could sit out all the time, but he could still see and play with it - so I cleared off a shelf in the kitchen and have it there now.  Perfect!



Let me know if you link up as well - I'd love to see your decorating ideas! 

5 comments:

  1. LOVE the decorations, your tree is so pretty!!!! :) Thank you for sharing! B is getting the nativity set for his birthday [shhhh] from my Parents... can't wait for him to open on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tree!!

    And OMG!!! PLEASE TELL ME WHERE YOU GOT THE ELEPHANT TEAPOT!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this post and seeing your Christmas decorations!

    Cooper is doing really great with our Christmas tree, too! I was a little worried at first but I gave him a few ornaments at the bottom of the tree that he is allowed to touch and (so far!) it's really worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful decorations! I love the ornament tradition. Jack gets one every year, but I love that you and Drew exchange them as well. I might have to steal this. :)

    I love A's nativity set and I think you found the perfect place for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty decorations! Your tree is gorgeous! My kids love their Little People nativity as well...so fun! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails