Monday, October 8, 2012

nursery projects {ribbon mobile}

I'm pretty sure when I finished the bow holder I said it would be the last project I'd do for this nursery.  Well...things changed.  :-)

My rocking chair arrived on Friday night and after it got settled into the room I realized that the blank space above it was way too big.  It drew your eye straight up as you looked in the room and was really aesthetically displeasing.  Filling that void became a priority.  It occurred to me that I could use a mobile - something the room didn't have yet and probably needed.  :-)

As I mulled over what would be:

1} easy and quick to make
2} inexpensive
3} a natural part of the room

only one thing came to mind - ribbons!  I love how flowy and soft the ribbons are without being over-the-top girly.


The chair came Friday - I decided to make the mobile on Saturday - I got to Michaels and Jo-Ann Fabrics after church on Sunday - the mobile was finished before Asher's nap was over Sunday afternoon.  That's my kind of project!


{it was raining here yesterday so the light was really bad - I'm guessing that's why the walls and ceiling appear to be the same color.  In reality, they are not...}

Wondering how to make your own??  It's embarrassingly easy.

Here's what you need:
  • spools of 7/8" ribbon {I used 6 different kinds, but do as many or few as you'd like}
  • rick rack trim for around the exterior hoop
  • 12" wooden embroidery hoop {any size will work}
  • acrylic paint or spray paint
  • hot glue gun
  • string + cup hook for hanging


That's it!

So, the how-to.

1} Paint the embroidery hoop, if you want {I painted mine glossy white}

2} Cut the ribbon into pieces of equal length - mine are 20" long

3} Heat seal both ends of the ribbons so they don't fray

4} Place a couple dabs of hot glue on the inner hoop and attach your 1st ribbon

5} Repeat the hot glue + ribbon attachment the whole way around the hoop

6} Place the outer hoop over the inner hoop and secure the screw

7} Tie the string/twine/fishing line that you'll use to hang the hoop at 4 equally spaced increments around the hoop.

Not sure how long to make the strings?  Just do what I did.  Climb up on a step ladder and have your husband take photos of you holding it at different heights.  :-)



8} Hot glue the rick rack {or any decorative trim} around the outside of the outer hoop.

9} Hang that lovely mobile up because you. are. done!


Now simply glance up and glimpse the view that your baby will enjoy.  There's no way ladybug will know my face when she has this to stare at during our nursing sessions - ha ha.


This is absolutely the last project I'm doing in the nursery.  It is as complete as it can be for now {I plan to add some photos on the walls and in frames after she arrives} so this. is. it.

I mean it this time.

;-)

{oh, and the parts of the nursery you haven't seen yet?  yeah, they have her name on them so the whole nursery tour will come after miss bug arrives!  And I'll be waiting for a pretty day to take photos so you can actually see the wall color - ha!}

5 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Such a fun thing for baby to look at when you know you'll be spending LOTS of time in that chair!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! I might be making one of these, too! I need to start getting some girly things into this house ;)
    You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great project! It turned out wonderfully. Ladybug is so lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails