Monday, January 23, 2012

is staying dry asking too much?

For the past few many weeks 5 things have been monopolizing my mind:

     overnight diapers

     wet PJs 

     wet sheets

     cloth diapers

     hemp inserts

And I'm sick of it. Really, really sick of it. 

Sweet Asher has been waking up every morning to wet pajamas and, more often than not, wet sheets. Bless his little heart, but he's a heavy wetter. A very, very heavy wetter. {sigh}

Ready for a story? Come on, let's journey together.  :-)

This all started way back when he was 7 months old and started wetting through his diaper at night.  At that time I was introduced to Pampers Overnight diapers and our problem was solved for a few months. They provided the extra protection Asher needed and he stayed nice and dry. Then one morning he started waking up wet again...

Let me take a second and interject here that by 6 months old Asher no longer woke up at night to eat.  He doesn't have a cup in bed and doesn't drink anything after 6pm.  

Back to the timeline...we moved up a size in the Pampers Overnights and that worked for a little while too. When those started to leak a friend recommended Huggies Overnights so I tried those. And they worked!  For awhile...

Now he's in the biggest size Huggies makes in an Overnight and wet jammies are our new normal. 

In my search for a solution I found a diaper 'booster' at Babies 'R Us. These are basically long pads that you lay inside the disposable diaper. They absorb fluid, but also let fluid flow through into the diaper. Basically it gives extra absorbency. These work...eh, ok.  It definitely helped a bit, but Asher was still damp most mornings. 

So I moved on to cloth diapering. I talked to some friends who cloth diaper and got their opinions on what might work best. The consensus was towards a pocket diaper stuffed with hemp and microfiber inserts, so this is what I got. I spoke with a saleswoman at our local cloth diapering store and she recommended the Tiny Tush pocket diaper and JoeyBunz Premium hemp inserts. That's what we tried!

How unbelievably adorable is Asher with his red fluffy bottom. :-)

The first night was awesome. Asher woke up a little damp, but no worse than how he woke with the disposable + booster. Hemp is supposed to get more absorbent with washing and drying so I assumed things would get better with time. I also decided to add in a second hemp insert for extra protection. 

The first night with 2 inserts was a complete disaster. Best guess of mine was that the super thick stuffing was cause a gap around Asher's chicken legs. His thighs are teeny tiny and {I guess} the pee was leaking straight out of the sides. 

So...we went back to just 1 hemp + 2 microfiber liners. This was the same setup as night #1, but Asher woke up at 3:00 completely soaked. Grrr....

I don't know what to do. I'm frustrated, overwhelmed and sick of pee. 

I've tried to get A to use the potty before bed, but he just isn't ready for potty training yet. He will sit on the potty very briefly, but that's it. I don't see the point in making us both upset by forcing the issue before he's ready. 

I would love, love any ideas you all have.  Please help! 

11 comments:

  1. Doubling up on the disposable nighttime dipe? Sham-WoW in his diaper? lol!

    Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. We've had success with the Huggies overnites. We also have one of those Ultimate Crib sheets - a waterpoof pad/sheet that you can remove easily, as it snaps to the crib rails and is designed to fit over the crib mattress and sheets. But we use ours as a liner between the fitted sheet and mattress so that the mattress does not get ruined if there is a bedwetting problem.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've tried 2 diapers and that works okay but it's really bulky. You could also try the hemp insert (or try a different insert) in the disposable. I wish I had the magic answer! And Jack sometimes sits on the potty (or pees in the bath!) and even that doesn't help. There's definitely no point in forcing it if it won't even help! I'm going to try rubber pants tonight since we already have a pair at home. I might just double up because I need sleep! I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do 2 disposables at night and it works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetie, you KNOW I know how you feel right now! The past year has been dedicated to figuring out how to keep LB dry just for an hour let alone all night!
    I see that he is on the biggest setting on the diaper, is there any room to snap it up one size on the front? You want to make sure there are no leg gaps (like you found out!) and sometimes you can make those first row of snaps, snap up and give a more snug fit. Though, LB is about 25lbs and during the day can do that but at night time we have so much stuffing that hers is also on the biggest setting.
    I agree that the MF+Hemp is the key but if that is still leaking I think you may need to look into a wool cover. They are SO worth the price (about $30-40) super easy to care for and absorb any leaks throughout the night. They are breathable, temperature controlled (they keep baby warm in the winter and cooler in the summer!) they are antimicrobal and only need to be washed every 3 weeks or so! They have been the saving grace for Lily's wet PJs and sheets.
    Please feel free to email me if you need to talk - I just went through this and some days still wake up to find LB wet but I do feel like we've also gotten to a place where we're happy with her night time diapering! alliepilarczyk@gmail.com if you need to talk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making sure you have a good fit is very important. It sounds like you already know that...but any gap around the legs or at the belly will lead to leaks. When my daughter leaks out of her overnight diaper it usually has to do with mommy error. I do the same as you have been doing (2 microfiber, 1 hemp and I always put the hemp in the back bc someone told me that although it is very absorbent, it absorbs slower than microfiber).

    The only suggestion I have is to use a wool cover. Wool is amazing for heavy wetters and is a night and naptime solution many people utilize.

    I hope you find something that works for you. We went through something similar that only lasted a few days and I was so tired of it...I cant imagine dealing with wet sheets and pjs for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a messy situation. Wish I could offer some help! I know you'll figure something out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you have already tried my suggestions, so I don't have any advice to offer:(. I can totally hear your frustration, so I just wanted to say "hang in there". That can't be any fun for you or Asher. I hope you find a permanent solution very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and how cute is Asher in his cloth diaper. It kinda makes me want to try it with baby #2...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you tried layering a disposable under a cloth? Or plastic pants (I think babies r us carries them) over his diaper? We had this problem with Graesen when he was an infant and it happened all day long. I had to pack 5 outfits everywhere we went!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I had suggestions for you, but I'm at a loss for that. Ava thankfully doesn't have that issue (it seems like a boy thing by reading the comments?), but I did want to tell you how insanely adorable Asher is in his cloth diaper. That, and boy do I wish my biggest issue was having teeny tiny thighs like little man :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. If possible points his penis down between his legs this worked for our little one when he was having the same problem. It allows the back of the diaper to be used if he is sleeping on his back as well as the front if he is sleeping on his belly w/o letting the pee move around his waist. This also worked for our older boy who started wetting again at 6yo.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails