Thursday, June 3, 2010

bulking up


Asher and I have become true suburbanites....we joined BJs Warehouse Club.

Yesterday we made a big trip over to our local BJs and signed up for a membership.  Since we were going to be doing shopping with the BIG cart I strapped Asher into the Beco for the duration.  He was already in it when I signed up for the membership, so Asher is in my card photo!


Can you see him?


He even turned his head a little to try and see what was going on.  Did I just get 2 memberships for the price of 1?  Awesome!

We found a ton of great stuff and now have plenty of paper towels, tissues, bananas, chicken breasts, and soda.  I just love buying in bulk!  What is it that's so satisfying about having a stock pile of food and paper goods?  It's not like we live in the middle of nowhere.  I can easily get to a grocery store, Target, or Wal-Mart any day of the week.  Whatever the reason, I love a deal and I love having enough dish soap for the whole neighborhood!

There was only one thing that brought me down off my bulk buying high.  As we were checking out, the cashier man decided to dispense some child raising wisdom.

I rank unsolicited, incorrect baby advise number 1 on my list of pet peeves.

This Dr. Spock wannabe was probably in his mid-30s and childless.

Anyway, as I'm running my credit card through the reader he says to me, "Those things are dangerous."  I look up wondering what in the world could be dangerous about a credit card and see him pointing at Asher's Beco baby carrier.  At first I thought he'd heard about the dangers of some sling carriers and was confused, but then he clarified that "it cuts off the leg circulation."

Are you kidding me?  It totally does NOT cut off his circulation!  I even felt his legs thinking maybe they were hurt, but they were warm, well-colored and completely fine.  This guy is on crack.

Mr. Cashier then continued on to say that "in his country women carry their babies in their arms."  Well, thanks.  I'd love to know how I'm expected to carry Asher in one arm while pushing a massive BJs cart with one hand.  Ever pick up a 36 can pack of soda?  It's hard to do with 2 arms, let alone one.

Apparently this guy immigrated to the U.S. to work at BJs and criticize young moms.

Thanks buddy!  You're super helpful!

I think it's a blessing that I'm not very witty because if I was I'd probably have thrown a zinger back at him and felt bad about it later.

How do you deal with people who offer baby advise that you don't want?  How about the advise that you don't want AND is cleary incorrect?

While we're at it...how do you deal with people who want to touch your baby?  I hate it when people stick their hands in Asher's stroller.  Mostly I hate it because he puts everything in his mouth and I have no clue where these stranger hands have been.  I don't want to be mean, but I need to protect him.  Any ideas?

Asher is anxiously awaiting your replies.

4 comments:

  1. That is hilarious about the carrier! I use one for Hadlea as well, along with the other millions of people that buy it, and I don't know if I have ever heard once that some kids legs were cutoff! I honestly do not know how I would have responded either...more than likely, laugh!

    And I agree with the touching! Once when I was in the grocery store a little old lady was reaching for Hadlea's head and I just pushed my basket up a little so she couldn't reach her. She looked at me and stepped up to reach again. So I pushed it again. I think she got the point because she just walked off. I felt SO bad! But I honestly prefer that no one touch her at the store...I even try to use sanatizer before I touch her after I have been loading stuff into the cart...

    omg...sorry for the rant on your comments! I am just completely in agreement with everything on this post! :) And I don't have one single answer for your questions. I have no idea how to handle either situation either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right... that cashier is on crack. That's just rude! If you couldn't think of a retort, I hope you at least shot him a go-to-hell look!

    And I assume BJ's is a like a Sam's Club or Costco?

    And so far, I don't have a lot of people that want to touch Eli, but I did have quite a few people that tried to touch my belly when I was pregnant! Hello -- personal space invasion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of crack, your posts ALWAYS crack me up, Em! :-) Coming from a totally childless perspective, what about one of those net thingys that would still allow Asher the benefit of all the good views and fresh air but clearly define his personal space? Teri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have been so pissed off if someone were to say that to me... I have a little bit of a flary (word?) temper and I think I might have said something quite wrong and mean... but hey, he deserves it!!! :-P

    I was checking out at Walmart one time and the checkout lady called him a girl..twice! I was pissed and corrected her bluntly every time. Idiot.

    I haven't had anyone try to touch Bennett.... but I think I would say please don't touch him. I don't think there is anything wrong with that simple request... because you have no idea what that person is like or where their hands have been. It's your right to request they keep their hands to themselves. I don't even like people looking at Bennett. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails