Tuesday, September 25, 2012

nursery projects {bow holder}

I've really gotten on quite the crafting kick with this nursery!  It's so fun to make things myself - first to save money {which going DIY always has for me}, but also because I love having pieces in the room that I know no one else has an exact replica of.  Sure, all of these ideas were inspired by someone else's genius - I'm bad at that part - but I like doing a couple projects myself.  The latest DIY adventure for the nursery? 

A bow holder!  


At first I didn't think I'd need one, but then I started picking up bows here and there.  She isn't even here yet and they were already a mess in the drawer.  Since I had a blank spot on the wall I figured, why not?, we'll give it a try.


Most bow holders I found on Etsy are made with ribbons, which is so pretty, but I loved the idea of using chicken wire.  It lets you clip the bows on in any old fashion and if she isn't a "bow girl" then she can always use the frame to display artwork, postcards, anything really!


I didn't take photos as I went this time, so there's no photo tutorial, but here are the basic steps I did.  If you'd like more details on exactly how I made it just let me know, I'm happy to share the nitty gritty.  :-)


Basically, though, I started with a $3 frame from Goodwill.  Drew dismantled the "art" in it and primed it for me.  Then I attached the chicken wire {Home Depot} with heavy-duty staples, screwed hooks on the bottom {Target}, and painted/distressed it the same color as the canvas I painted previously {BM, Robin's Nest}.  Then I hot glued on a few gray felt flowers I found at Michaels for $2 and used twine to hang it up.

It took a naptime of work and about $15.  It actually only cost that much because I didn't have anything on hand that I needed.  I now have another bow holder's worth of chicken wire and hooks laying around if anyone wants to make one and split the materials cost with me.  :-)

I've actually been trying to make a few bows myself too.  After buying a couple and realizing exactly what they are, I'm having a harder time paying Etsy prices...

The little green clippies are homemade by moi!  Those are definitely the easiest way to start.  If you want to make some, follow this tutorial.  It. is. simple...and oh so cute!  I will be making lots more as I find ribbon on clearance.


I did buy wider ribbon to try to make a regular sized hair bow as well, but haven't tried it yet.  Those bigger ones intimidate me a little - ha ha.  I'll let you know how it goes!  

4 comments:

  1. So cute! Love it much better than the ribbon ones! I need to make one soon. Miss M's are a mess in a drawer. Lol. Also thanks for the tutorial link! That seems super easy! I think they would be perfect for two tiny pigtails! I just found a ton of grosgrain ribbon in polka dots and plain at Marshall's! Now I wish I would have picked it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! If Ava would allow me to put anything in the way of bows into her hair, I'd happily do this! Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! That is too cute! Just a reminder that H has 3 bow holders... you better go ahead and made another one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How neat! You are so crafty and your kids are lucky to have unique, homemade things. This bow holder turned out so great! I looked at the frames at my local consignment shop and didn't see anything. I need to check out the thrift store as well. What size frame did you use for your Instagram display?? I'm excited to get started on mine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails