Thursday, April 5, 2012

easter {preparing our hearts}

Thanks for all of your encouraging comments about what a great big brother Asher will be. I hope you're right! ha!

----------------------------


Easter is absolutely one of my favorite holidays. I'm so excited that it is this Sunday! It's always so awe inspiring to me to think about what Jesus did for us all. To make himself covered in sin - my sin - but then not to let death have the final word by rising again. It's amazing!

As a parent, I feel like my greatest obligation is to ensure that Asher knows all about Jesus and what he did for us. We do lots of things to incorporate God's word into our daily life, but Easter gives us an extra opportunity to tell the story of Christ's overwhelming love and sacrifice.

One way we do that is by using Resurrection Eggs! Asher loves them!


{I first heard about these last year and thought about making my own, but by the time I priced it all out it was cheaper just to buy the kit. You can find them here.}

Each day during the 12 days before Easter you open an egg revealing a symbol that goes with a part of the Easter story. We still have a couple days to go, but so far we have been opening the eggs, reading the story, and placing the symbols on our Easter tree.


Asher is obsessed with the eggs. We probably open and close the eggs 5 times a day {if not more}. He certainly doesn't understand the story yet, but I'm a big fan of speaking scripture, regardless of what he seems to understand or not.


This is going to be a yearly tradition for us - might as well start now! :-)



We still love candy, egg hunts, and all the spring animal aspects of Easter too. I just think Asher's "What is Easter?" book says it best...

Okay now I get it,
The Easter bunny is okay,
And Easter eggs are fun.
But Easter's not about that stuff.
It's all about God's son!

 

1 comment:

  1. Love the resurrection eggs! I've never heard of them. What a great way to keep the real reason for celebrating in focus. Can't wait to make this a new tradition in our home.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails