Tuesday, August 16, 2011

camera bag extraordinaire

My camera needs a home.

Correction:  needed a home.

For the past two months I've been toting it around in my diaper bag, cushioned by Asher's extra set of clothes.  This worked out - a little - but wasn't going to be a good long term solution, so I've been searching and searching for the perfect bag.

Found it!


Ahh, lovely.  :-)

There were a few criteria that I wanted my new bag to fill:

big enough to hold my camera and some baby stuff
must stand up on its own {I hate it when bags fall over when you set them down!}
comfortable to wear
doesn't scream "camera bag"


This bag does all that and more!  After scouring the internet and talking to some friends I realized that the Kelly Moore B-Hobo bag was the one for me.  There was only one problem...$$$.  Kelly Moore is well known for making beautiful bags - that come at a not-so-lovely price.

Solution?  My go-to deal finder, eBay!  I decided on my max price and started bidding.  It took a few tries, but eventually I won my new friend.  She is brand new and came with the tags attached inside a Kelly Moore dust bag - but for a significant discount.  Win-win!  I know a lot of people are nervous about using eBay, but I can tell you I've used it for a dozen or more purchases with no problems. 

After using this bag for a weekend I can honestly say that I'm in love.  I took it with me to the zoo and was able to carry everything we needed.  It easily holds:  my camera with lens attached, diapers/wipes, Purell, diaper disposal sacks, wallet, snack bag, and an outfit for Asher.


I need to be honest here and add in that if you're a serious photographer with multiple lenses or an external flash then you won't have room for the baby stuff.  I'm just a clickin' mom, so only carrying my camera with attached lens is enough for me.  If I get additional equipment someday then I'll probably just go back to bringing a separate diaper bag.  The hobo is one of Kelly Moore's smaller bags, which is what I wanted.  I'm a petite person and huge bags make me look even smaller.  Not to mention they kill my shoulder.


I also wanted to mention a complaint that I ran across a lot in my research.  The one negative I heard several time was that the bag is not leather, but the price seems to reflect a leather bag.  I have to agree with that.  In fact, that's one of the main reasons I refused to pay for full price and went the eBay route.

However - I have to say I LOVE that's it not leather!  We got caught in a rain storm at the zoo and I had zero concerns about the bag getting ruined.  With a toddler there is sky-high spill potential all the time, so I like having no worries regarding my bag.  I simply wiped it dry after the storm and everything was perfect.

Asher and I went to tour a model home yesterday {we're looking for a new home for us, too} but Drew was working so I took some photos to show him last night.  Can you spot my new friend?  I prefer to carry the bag cross-body, but Asher riding in the Beco put a little damper on that idea. 

We worked it, regardless.  :-) 


This ended up being really long - if you're still reading, thanks!  Guess I'm a little excited.  ha!

6 comments:

  1. I love that bag! I've been looking around a bit too, and agree LOVE Kelly Moore but didn't want to pay that price tag . . . but SOOOO cute :) I hope the house hunt is an easy one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great info on the bag, Emily! I love your product reviews because you're such a fantastic, honest reviewer AND you always seem to find a bargain...win, win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love it!! I use a backpack camera bag and it gets really uncomfortable after carrying it around for awhile. But I also carry a second lens and I keep items for Jack in the top compartment. Once it's in the budget, I'll be shopping for a new one. I had never heard of Kelly Moore before, but will definitely keep that as an option! What stores carry her line?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my bag (only mine is red)!! Did you know/remember that from my blog... or do our great minds continue to think alike?

    I love mine, though it was crazy expensive. How smart of you for buying one off eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great you love the bag! :) I have a backpack camera bag like Rene', but just purchased a smaller Lowepro bag because I don't always need my extra lenses and don't want to haul the backpack around. Both are full-out camera bags so this is really cool that it doesn't remotely look like one. :) It's awesome to find something you can gush about so happily! I need to also look into using our carrier ... I forgot about mine so thank you for the reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails