Wednesday, April 7, 2010

how to make a necktie onesie

A couple of you were asking how I made the necktie onesie...

well, it was super easy!

First I measured the onesie torso, so I'd know how long to make the tie,

then I made a tie template from some cardstock.

I drew the "tie shape" free hand using the onesie measurements so the tie part wouldn't be too long or short.

The easiest way to do it {in my opinion} is to make the "knot" part and the "tie" part separately.  This made cutting out the material and attaching it to the shirt much easier.

I then cut out the tie using leftover quilting fabric and attached it to the onesie with some iron-on heat bonding material.  Then I sewed around the edges to secure it better using the zig-zag setting on my sewing machine.  I'd definitely recommend doing the sewing step -- the bonding didn't hold as well as I had hoped.  Sewing did the trick to hold it on securely, I even ran this one through the washer and dryer with no problems.

Asher's Easter onesie was made with some fun Hawaiian fabric, but here's a more traditional striped one that I also made for him.



It was so easy!  I saw a lot of these onesies for sale on Etsy for $15-20 and I'm so glad I tried to make my own.  Since I used onesies I already owned and leftover fabric it only cost me a couple dollars for the heat bonding!

That's it!

I can't post without adding a photo of my little guy, so check out these baby blues.  Oh, how he's got me wrapped around his fingers.


4 comments:

  1. You should totally sell these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are amazing!! I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asher's eyes are so pretty! He changes so much in pictures. You should totally sell those! I got 3 of them at baby showers for Parker, they are so popular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so adorable! You've got mad taent, mama!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails