Monday, April 13, 2009

maybe she's who he meant

I make mistakes all of the time.

Call it living in the moment without considering the long term consequences or simply bad judgement, but I've had my fair share of, um what were you thinking, moments.

For instance, the day that I had my wedding hair style 'trial appointment' I was due to meet a friend for ice cream afterwards and cut the schedule a little too close. I hate, hate being late for things, so rather than hold up my friend, I just went to the (very crowded) ice cream place with my hair like this.





Nice, right?

Where I then proceeded to run into some friends of my parents' whom I hadn't seen since I was a girl. I stammered around and eventually explained that I don't usually look like this.

They were very kind about it, but I felt ridiculous.

Or maybe the time that I let Owen fall asleep while holding the remote control.



Have you ever tried to pry something out of the hands of a sleeping child? Sounds easier than it was.

I eventually gave up and decided to nap with him. My good choice of that day.



How about when Drew and I were in Japan and I assumed that the men driving these carts around the fish market would hesitate to hit me.



They didn't.

Maybe my longest reaching 'not thought through' decision was marrying into a family where I am always the shortest person around.



Even when it's just women.





This doesn't do much for my ego.

Maybe that's a good thing.

However...

when Darwin put his theory about survival of the fittest out there, I don't think he meant me with these kinds of bad decisions.

When he proposed that only the animals or people that have the ideal physical attributes (animals) or make the best decisions (people) towards their survival should and would survive to perpetuate the species, I'm pretty sure he had this woman in mind.

In Berlin over the weekend, a woman jumped the fence into the polar bear pool during feeding time.

Why oh why would someone jump into the polar bear enclosure?

During feeding time?

Why?!

Sure, polar bears look like this at first.



But then they grow up and do things like this to their food.



Luckily the zookeepers were able to distract the bears and pull the woman out.

She wasn't badly hurt, but did get a citation for trespassing.

Really? That's the only thing she did wrong?

As a study in contrasts, here's a photo I took of a polar bear during my last trip to the zoo.



I'm pretty sure that for those of us who don't want to be lunch, this is the view we're supposed to have.

This really put my 'fancy hair at the ice cream shop' mistake into perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails