Friday, January 28, 2011

snow day

On Wednesday afternoon the snow started falling in northern Virginia at the rate of 2" per hour.  It kept up through the night and on Thursday morning we were met with this


a winter wonderland!


Wednesday night it didn't seem too wonderful.  Drew was stuck in horrible, horrible gridlocked traffic trying to get home from work.  We were actually worried for awhile that he might not make it at all.  He works 4 miles from our house and it took him over 2.5 hours to get home.  There were abandoned cars and drifting snow everywhere.  Not good!

Needless to say, Thursday was a work-from-home day for him!  While he managed to get a lot done at our kitchen table, there was time for a short break mid-afternoon to take Asher outside for his first ever romp in the snow.  Yay!


Asher was born last December in Cleveland, so he had seen snow before, but this was the first time we were able to get him in his snow suit and boots to really experience the flaky white stuff.  He was interested, but hesitant.  Honestly, I think he was so suited up he couldn't even really feel it.  ha!  I didn't want him to get cold.  :o)




The best part for A was when Drew plunked him feet down into the snow.  His boots supported his ankles really well and the snow came halfway up his legs so he was able to stand upright by himself!  That's a first!  Sweet Ash couldn't stop smiling at this new freedom!  Maybe now he'll attempt it inside as well.  We'll see.



His snow suit/boots/mittens came from LL Bean and were all hand-me-downs from his cousins.  Perfect!  I love getting special items like this for free!  Look familiar?



Drew made Ash a snowman that was just his size.  I think they're friends.  Or at least a curiosity.



Then there was, of course, the requisite "mom, I can't put my arms down!" shot.  Babies are so much work, you have to get your kicks when you can.


Now we just need a sled of some kind and we'll be all set!


4 comments:

  1. I love the snow pictures! Jack and I took a snow day yesterday but we didn't venture out. Wednesday was so bad, I was so glad to make it home safe and sound in good time. I'm glad Drew made it home. Some people were stuck for 12 hours! Craziness!

    By the way, I love the line: "Babies are so much work, you have to get your kicks when you can". So true!! And I love the pic of him standing. That is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great snow pics!!! That looks like an awesome snowsuit. I will definitely be looking for a one-piece suit next winter... it's been so cold here in Minnesota that we haven't been able to take B out much in it, but poor thing can't barely move when we do, he's so bundled up. :) Definitely don't want the little kiddos to get cold!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous of your awesome snow day, and these shots are fantastic!

    Loving the snowsuit, and again Asher has on a super adorable hat....SO cute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails