Thursday, January 20, 2011

chowing down

Asher's new favorite game.


Mommy has decided that if he wants to bite the spoon, then he must be done eating.  I don't try to wrestle it back and he lets go right away.


No!  Wait!  I wasn't done - keep feeding, please!


Asher has actually been interested in feeding himself with his spoon recently.  He does a few bites {with my guidance} but then realizes that mommy is much faster and passes the spoon back to me to finish up.  He'll get there soon enough!

Speaking of food, does anyone have suggestions of foods that I can introduce to Ash?  He still resists a lot of finger foods, but I'm trying to give him new solids all the time.  His favorite is still baby food {any kind - fruit, veg, meat} - but I'm so tired of buying and making purees!  It seems like he should be past this by now.  Our pediatrician says not to worry, but it's hard when it seems like every other baby his age is eating all kinds of table food.

The thing is that he can eat solids - just chooses not to in most cases.  *sigh*  In fact, I'm beginning to think that he secretly signed a contract with Gerber because he will eat anything with their label on it!  Seriously, he eats Gerber Puffs, wagon wheels, maple crunchies, etc.  If he can munch through those rock hard apple wagon wheels then he should be able to eat anything!

Table foods that he eats and enjoys include: bananas, grilled cheese sandwich, cheese slices, pieces of apple, Cheerios, Goldfish crackers, french toast, any kind of bread/muffin, yogurt, turkey lunch meat {which I don't like to give him, but it's the only meat he'll eat!}

I've tried to give him canned chicken, browned ground turkey/beef, meatballs with sauce, pasta - he takes none of it!

Would you mind sharing what your kiddo likes to eat?  Thanks!

{Rene - I saw on your blog that Jack likes black beans with melted cheese.  We're trying that soon! Wish us luck! ha!}

6 comments:

  1. I was super lucky with Holden. I just started giving his whatever we are having for dinner. Try doing that. Giving him whatever you are having and just a little baby food and "weaning" him from the baby food. I also switched to the meal from Gerber like ravioli and mac and cheese instead of the actual "baby" food. See if that helps : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooper LOVES whole wheat ravioli in spaghetti sauce and plain cheese quesdillas. He's actually not picky at all and will eat what we're eating. If we're eating something spicy than I'll make him a smaller non-spicy version.

    I agree with Emily's comment about giving him tastes of what you're eating and weaning off the jar foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter still eats baby foods as well. The only finger foods she eats are puffs, cheerios, animal crackers, and regular crackers. Anything else I try to give her she squishes it and tosses it off her tray. I try all kinds of things but she has no interest at all. It has gotten much harder recently because she was just diagnosed with a milk allergy so we have had to cut out all milk based ingredients. I feel like she should be eating more people food now but she won't have it...if you come up any ideas , I would love to hear about them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Love the Steelers bib, BTW!

    We're also in a food rut, and it seems like a lot of us are feeling that way given recent posts. I'm going to post a few recipes tomorrow, but I'm not sure how helpful I can be because we're so limited in the whole no-dairy, no-eggs things. It really takes away from some of the things I'd like to feed Ava!

    Just know you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck!! I just found a recipe for lentil chili that I'm going to make this weekend. I'll post the recipe and the results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to think that what Asher is doing is totally normal because Parker is the exact same way right now.:)

    He loves all things gerber, a good piece of cheese toast, yogurt, cracker, breads, milk and some fruit but if i put a yogurt melt or wagon wheel in front of him he'll try and eat the entire bag or container.

    I've been giving P organic blueberry pancakes from the freezer section and he loves them for breakfast. We do struggle at lunch and dinner though, I've try veggies and other stuff but sometimes it's just more of a fight with him than it is worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails