Friday, January 21, 2011

baby vs. food

Yesterday I posted about how Asher is currently resisting many forms of solid food.  I got some great ideas from people and decided to give some a go that same day!

First up:  chicken and cheese quesadilla

Ash loves grilled cheese sandwiches, so I thought these would be an instant hit.  Honestly what's the big difference?  Well, he hated it.  As in wouldn't even take a bite and turned his head when I tried to feed him a piece.  Then in anger over my insistence that he give it a try A took the offered bite and threw it on the floor.

Quesadilla = FAIL

Next:  black beans with cheese

I mushed up the beans and melted some cheese over the top.  He really does like cheese so I thought if I gave everything a cheesy flavor it might win me some points.  Blah.  Spit them out and made a yuck face.

Beans = FAIL

Finally:  hard boiled egg

Asher hasn't shown any affinity to scrambled eggs, but I thought I'd give this version a try.  You never know.

I've made hard boiled eggs before, here's how:  place eggs in cool water, bring to boil, cover and turn down to simmer for 1 min, take off heat {still covered} for 15 minutes, then place in cold water to cool.

I did all this, but when I went to peel the egg it went splat and oozed all over my counter - not even close to being hard boiled.  Gross!  No clue what went wrong - anybody know a better way to do it?

Needless to say, we'll be trying that one another day.

Hard boiled eggs = MOMMY FAIL

After all of this refusal yesterday I was planning to take it down a notch and go slower.

This morning Asher decided that eating the cup that held his morning Cheerios would be fun!



A few hours later he got a hold of my headband and couldn't get enough of the delicious elastic-y taste it provided.  Ooey gooey cheesy quesadilla?  Yuck!  Stretchy headband - YUM!
 

He wouldn't even put it down to play with his blocks.
 


Since he was so willing to put weird stuff in his mouth this morning I hoped that was a good sign that he'd try some new foods that are actually food {instead of things that hold food...or hair}

Great news at lunch!  I offered him some chicken noodle soup and he loved it!  Ash usually rejects noodles, but these went down easier with the soup broth.  I also gave him some cooked, whole green beans and he really loved those.  The pounding-on-his-highchair-tray-for-more kind of love!  The skins were a little tough and after a while he spit them out, but it was a great effort.


We'll get there!  If you come up with any new recipes for toddlers I will always love to hear them - feel free to share!

{By the way, not to brag, but how gorgeous is he?! ha!}

5 comments:

  1. My Parker is pretty picky sometimes too . . and really loves things with lots of flavor versus blandish baby stuff. He is totally over baby food and won't eat my ground beef anything unless if is in caserole/lasagna/very flavor-like form. I hide his veggies in cheesey things too . . .because he is picky like that. I could stress over the lack of certain things he goes through with his eating habits but . . . I know he'll still grow . . .hopefully your little man is just going through some food stage too . . maybe teeth coming or something. WHO KNOWS :) But he is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asher is looking incredibly handsome in those pics, if I do say so myself;) No food advice. Presley eats everything, and all the time. I'm not bragging here...it kind of worries me. She's so tiny! I'm not sure where all that food is going. I guess she's just burning it off with all of her non-stop running around??

    Also, I hard boil my eggs by putting them in warm water. Then turn it up to high. Once it starts to boil, I turn it down to medium-high for 15 minutes, uncovered. That may be a little longer than necessary, but I like to make sure there done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not bragging - I was totally thinking how insanely handsome he looked in those pics, also!

    Sorry about the food failures, though the soup and green beans are a big improvement! I eat soup for lunch almost every day, and so I feed Ava things for lunch out of my soup (carrots, celery, chicken, noodles).

    I may have to bite the bullet and pick up some soy cheese so I can try quesadillas with Ava!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some great ideas...I may have to try them myself without the cheese since Seraya is allergic to milk products.

    And I do my eggs the same way you do but I just run them under cold water at he end of 15 minutes so that they will peel better.

    I read your blog daily but will be checking back to see what else you have tried as this is a constant battle at my house, made even harder by the fact that we can't give her any milk based ingredients. Any suggestions from you or your other readers will be appreciated!

    Good luck with Asher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny -- Eli LOVES noodles of all kinds: soup noodles, mac & cheese, spaghetti, casseroles, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails