Friday, May 1, 2009

favorite thing friday

Did you know that tomorrow marks the 1 year anniversary of my LASIK procedure?

1 year ago I was a little nervous and very excited to have my eyes fixed. I blogged about this awhile back, but thought that this momentous day desired some repeat business.

I can honestly say that the little bit of discomfort I went through during the procedure was completely worth it! I love not having the hassle of glasses or contacts.

Of course, I am still making payments for it, but we'll celebrate the end of that part of things on the 2 year anniversary!

This week's Favorite Thing Friday is undeniably,

LASIK

For those of you who don't know, LASIK (or Laser Assisted In Sutu Keratomileusis), is an eye surgery that corrects vision problems.

How did I end up getting LASIK? Well, here's my story.

Starting in high school (1998) I noticed that the blackboard and road signs were becoming more and more difficult to read. Once I got to college (2000) it became a real problem and I went to get glasses. At first I just used them for classes, movies, and driving. But...then I realized there was a lot in life I was missing by not wearing them all the time.

This brings me to 2006. Drew and I were living in Pittsburgh and I decided that I should really wear my glasses all of the time. Except that I hate wearing glasses. Maybe it stemmed from the fact that I didn't grow up wearing them, but it bothered me to have weird vision around the edges of the lenses.

So, I decided to start wearing contacts.

[Enter Imperial March music now]

It turns out that contacts are my kryptonite.

I had more irritating contacts than anyone else I've ever talked to. I gave our relationship a good 2 years of my life, but in the end, contacts and I had to part ways.

Spring 2008.

Drew and I talked (and talked) about it and decided that LASIK is something that we could invest in for my eyes. I wasn't (too) afraid of the surgery itself and, although the cost is high, we were offered a great interest-free payment plan, which made it relatively affordable.

I decided to go through with it and on the day before my birthday, May 2, 2008, I got my corneas zapped back into shape.

The next day I drove myself to the medical center for a check-up.

Without glasses. Or contacts. Or a chauffeur.

Here's a little diagram of what actually happens during LASIK.



I don't recommend the at home version.



Here is the laser that did my correction. Dr. Thomas was there too.



It wasn't painless, but it wasn't agonizing either. After experiencing the results, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

My vision today is 20/15 (better than average!) and I don't have any halos, glare issues, or dry eye.

My laser vision rocks.

2 comments:

  1. What color eyes do you have? I once had a doctor tell me that due to my blue eyes, I was not an ideal candidate for the surgery. But I would love to be able to see the clock at night without having to put my glasses on. And I am so tired of the dryness my eyes feel when I wear contacts.

    Anyway, congrats to you and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,
    I have blue eyes as well and my doctor never mentioned that as a potential problem. I actually had an astigmatism in 1 eye, which I thought could be a problem but it wasn't -- thankfully! The first time I came back from the bathroom at night the numbers on the clock were so clear it made me jump. :o)

    I love it and would get a second opinion on the blue eyes thing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails