Wednesday, June 13, 2012

making an instagram display

Don't you love it when Pinterest comes to life?  I do! 

A few weeks ago I pinned this link and knew that once we moved into our new home {where I'd be allowed to hang stuff on the walls} this was a must make.  I love Instagram and was so excited to find a fun way to display all of the great day-to-day images that I capture on my iPhone.

Ta da - my creation!




First thing I had to do was find a way to get nice prints of my Instagram shots.  Lucky me found a great one!  I used the Postal Pix app to order a bunch of my favorite photos in the 4"x4" print size.  It was really inexpensive and the prints arrived just a few days later - highly recommend.

The next step was find a fun, large frame.  I started out looking at Michael's and found that to get the size I wanted it would be at least $50 {and that's using a 50% off coupon}.  Whoa.  No way.  So I took the original creator's advice and headed to Goodwill.

That's when I found this beauty.  Isn't she lovely?  :-)


Try to look past that fantastic "watercolor" and the gold-green tone patina of the frame to the potential that lies beneath.


Next step:  pry the back off and remove the painting.


Drew helped me a ton with this part.  He muscled all of the staples out way faster than I could.


Since my frame was kind of shiny I decided to play it safe and prime before painting.  I bought a can of Krylon gray primer at Michael's for about $6 and sprayed away.


After the primer dried I sprayed the entire frame a glossy black.  I've never spray painted anything before and I have to say - it was SO easy.


I wanted the clothespins I'd be using to hang the photos to match the frame, so I gave them a quick pass with the black paint as well.  Just clip them on a piece of cardboard and spray, spray, spray.


These are the "tiny" version of wooden craft clothespins found at Michaels.  I also bought the "mini" size to try and they were too big.


Once everything was dry I assembled the photo hanging lines across the back of the frame.  All I did was mark a spot 1" from the top of the interior frame, then every 5.5" after that for a total of 4 lines.

Make even marks across the width, then place some small screws.

{I got to use the drill for this part and felt every bit a DIY-er}


I used 28 gauge jewelry wire for my lines.

Wind it tightly around each screw and you've got your photo lines in place.


Suddenly, you're nearly there!  All you need to do is:

clip some awesome Instagram pics onto the lines...

hang the frame on the wall and...

voila! 

you have a really fun Instagram display!


I love that I can change out the photos any time with no hassle.



It's easily my new favorite thing in our home.  :-)

12 comments:

  1. I love this!! I want to make one now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! I did the same thing (spray painted thrift frame) years and years ago with cork board behind it for my dorm room. I LOVE a good craft project and I love your picture display! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is FABULOUS!!!! I am definitely wanting to do this .. and SOON! Thank you for the refreshed inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. look at you go, girl! love this! and totally stealing it for Hadlea's new room if you do not mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so creative, Emily! Love the Instagram display! Ladybug will soon need her own little display too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea!! Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute idea...I am going to have to make one of these this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this! I'm looking for some new ways to display photos. I already have lots of little pegs, so I think I may give this a go. Thanks for sharing! Vic (new follower from the UK)) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job! It looks great :) I'm glad my tutorial was helpful and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, My name is Laura and I blog about tips for displaying printed Instagram photos. I have been doing lots of looking around to find unique ideas and I just want to let you know I love this idea! I love seeing the crafty ideas that people create to display their Instagram photos! thank you for the inspiration and thank you for sharing. I really hope this idea inspires people to print their Instagram photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What size picture frame did you use?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails