Monday, March 30, 2009

emily makes a quilt - part 1

When I was a young girl, my Mom used to make me and my sisters dresses. These were actual clothes that we could wear (in public) and not be ridiculed. At the time this seemed completely normal -- moms make clothes for their kids. Sure, not all of their clothes, but a few special items, no problem.

Then I grew up and realized just how impressive this is.

Sewing (especially sized clothing) is hard! For me, at least.

My mom has a craft gene that she graciously passed along to my sisters. They all makes lots of beautiful things.

Crocheted blankets, handmade greeting cards/birth announcements/invitations, handbags, pajama pants, wreaths, dolls...just to name a few.

When I was in middle school we had a section of sewing as part of our home economics class. During that class we made (really basic) shorts, which involved sewing a couple pieces of fabric together, then threading an elastic band through the top to keep them up.

It took me so long to get the elastic threaded that the teacher actually gave me a hug when I was done.

I think she channeled a little Annie Sullivan that day.

Which makes me the Helen Keller of sewing.

I didn't get the craft gene.

*sigh*

Unfortunately for me, I was raised in a generation of children who were told that they can do anything, if they try hard enough.

Although I now believe this isn't completely true, it's ingrained too deeply and I can't let crafts win. I keep trying while thinking, believing, in vain, that 1 day I'll gain the upper hand and create something beautiful.

To date, my craft attempts (and failures) include:

knitting
cross-stitch
scrapbooking
sewing a bag

I did successfully make a wreath last fall, but it involved no glue or fasteners of any kind. I basically wound fake foliage onto a wreath base.

But hey, success is success and I'll take it.

Bolstered by this achievement, I decided to up the ante and re-entered the world of sewing.

I'm a realist and knew I should start small, so the other week I replaced all of the buttons on my winter jacket.

Sure, this is more repair than crafts, but who's getting technical.

Another success and the little girl who could (craft) in me is getting fired up.

I decided to take the plunge and ... make a quilt!



My mom made me a beautiful quilt years ago that Drew and I use all of the time. It's definitely our "go to" couch quilt.



I knew that the Log Cabin pattern was fairly simple -- just strips of fabric sewn together -- I can sew in a straight line! So I asked Mom about it and she offered me some advice and sent me a book that turned out to be my newest favorite.



Thanks, Eleanor, for leaving the "Dummies" out of the title. Although it is that simple.



I know the title says "Quilt in a Day," but really, let's pick our battles.

After 2 days of steady work, I've made some great progress!







So far I have all of the blocks made




and sewn together


and have 2 of 3 borders attached.


I don't want to speak up too soon, but I think this thing might really happen!

Maybe all of that "work hard to achieve any goal" talk wasn't just propaganda. Maybe the anti-craft curse has been lifted.

But then again, let's not count our chickens -- I'll let you know.

2 comments:

  1. Em,
    I'm so proud of you, and excited!! I as well am making a quilt and today I'm hopefully attaching the binding and calling it finished!
    (it's taken a while because I did most of the quilting by hand)
    It's my first too, and actually kinda similar to yours!

    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohooo...looks good! I can't believe how much you got done in such a short amount of time. Sewing machines scare me. Needles scare me. I enjoy glue dots, rubber cement, and, overall, things that stick to each other :0)

    Maybe if I get a sewing machine one day I could try something so grand. Actually, I can imagine myself getting super super frustrated with it and making Ryan figure it out for me, since it is kind of like a tool. haha

    You may think you're not crafty (even though I think you are), but you are super good with cakes & sweet treats! You should have seen the Easter cookies I tried to icing. It was pathetic. The whoopie pies are delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails