Friday, January 4, 2013

big boy bed

At 2 years, 11 months, and 17 days old Asher had never once tried to climb out of his crib and was happily sleeping there every night and afternoon.  It was going so well that I saw no reason to rock the boat and was planning to keep him in his crib until...well, I'm not sure how long.

Then, on December 1st fate intervened and forced our hand.  I had my gallbladder removed and was told I couldn't lift more than 10 pounds for a week.  Asher still counted on me to get him in and out of his crib and was tipping the scales at 30 pounds - something had to change and we decided it would be the crib!

Asher helped Drew "fix my bed" and put on the toddler rail.  That night I took some pictures of my big boy in his new bed {not a crib, a bed - sob!} and told him how excited we were that he was getting bigger.

Asher was thrilled to be able to climb in and out on his own!



Drew and I explained that he had to stay in bed all night until Mommy came for him in the morning.



To my tremendous surprise he did!


In fact, he's fallen asleep and stayed in bed with NO trouble from that very first night through now, almost a month later!


As with most things Asher graduates to, I assume he'll have trouble, but he's always much more ready and capable than I give him credit for.  I think the fact that we were able to keep the same basic crib {just exchanging the one side for a toddler rail} and the same sheets, blankets, and toys helped him transition easily.

Plus the fact that he's a big boy now, of course.  :-)


So proud of you Asher!

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree that we do not give them enough credit with adjusting to new things. The things that I think Hadlea will have a hard time dealing with are a breeze, and the things I think will be easy are pure torcher! They just like to keep us worried and on our toes! :-)

    He looks super cute in his big boy bed!

    We are hoping to get Had a day bed with a trundle in the next couple of weeks so baby brother can have her crib. I am TOTALLY sweating it! We shall see....

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we transitioned Presley to her toddler bed, she didn't ever get out of it on her own for almost 3 months. This was completely surprising considering she had been climbing out of her crib since she was 17 months old. Now we are fixing to convert to a full size bed once her mattress arrives. She sleeps in my brothers queen size bed when we are in Houston, but it's still a little nerve wracking.

    Asher looks super sweet in his big boy bed. I'm so glad it has been such an easy transition. You certainly deserve it with all you've had going on lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been so worried about this transition. Meyer, like Asher has never even attempted an escape. This is so awesome! I'm so glad the transition went well for you guys and only hope ours will be the same...someday! Good job Asher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We set up Carter's twin bed next to his crib just so it would be in the room and he could get used to it. That night he asked to sleep in it and hasn't looked back since. I thought it would be this big thing but it didn't even phase him! They are growing up so fast!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails