Friday, April 29, 2011

favorite thing friday - taggie blanket

I've made a few quilts in my day, but with so many friends having babies I decided it was time to branch out and learn how to make some baby things!

I have to make a confession and say that this whole thing was started by my sweet friend Abby.  She asked me if I could help her make a blanket for a mutual friend who just had a baby and I jumped at the chance!  I don't have much sewing experience but was confident that between the two of us we could create something fabulous.  We did!

Check out the blanket we put together for baby Taylor!

{this photo won't flip for some reason, grrr....sorry}




It's flannel on one side and minky dot on the other.  Sooo soft and cozy! 

This was a big blanket {about 1 yd x 1 yd} - the next thing I wanted to try was making a small taggie blanket for my visit to this little cutie in Cleveland.


I love it!


Except...every time I make something I see lots of stuff I'd do differently next time.  So, of course, I had to make another one!  This most recent trial is for another girl in my small group who recently welcomed baby Eli.  This lovey is a bit smaller and I added Eli's initial to the back.




The little imperfections bug me to death, but that's why I need more practice.  There are fewer of those each time, so that's the good news!  Once again, there are things that I will do differently next time - fewer tags on this size blanket, for one. 

You all need to keep having babies so I can justify making more blankets! 

If anyone is interested I can do a detailed tutorial on how I made it step-by-step - it really is easy and only took me about 3 hours.

I always love getting personalized gifts and LOVE making things for my friends.  Hopefully they feel the same way.  ha!

In other news, Asher and I watched the {DVR'd} Royal Wedding this morning.  As much as I loved Kate's dress I have to say that I absolutely adored her sister's dress.  That could have been a wedding gown itself!  Can I also say how much I love her name too - Pippa!  Yay!  It just makes me smile. 

As you can see, Asher was very interested in watching the wedding of the century.


Happy weekend all!

4 comments:

  1. I love the fabric pattern on the first blanket. Great work on the others! I wouldn't beat yourself up on the imperfections. Sometimes those little imperfections are what MAKE the personalized gift! I they look perfect to me!

    And funny last photo! My sentiments exactly on the royal wedding! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blankets!!! I cannot sew or crochet or make quilts, but I really want to learn all of it so I can make beautiful gifts. I would love to know how you made these. I know you've made quilts before...have you ever made one out of t-shirts? I saved all of my favorite outfits of Jack's and really want to turn them into a quilt someday. What a great keepsake it would be!

    And I agree with the remarks on Pippa. I haven't watched yet (about to watch the DVR), but I saw the pictures and she looked beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the blankets!! I suck at even sewing buttons back on pants. I'd love to be that creative with cloth. Personalized gifts are so much more thoughtful. Good for you! If I ever have baby #2 I'll let you know so you can send me one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh cute! Seraya would love one of those taggie blankets. She is obsessed with tags still! I would love to see you do a tutorial on this. I think they turned out great and think that the imperfections make them extra special because they came from the heart!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails