Friday, October 4, 2013

how to make a birthday board

I've seen these first birthday boards all over Pinterest recently and think they are so cute!  I knew I'd have to get one for Hadley's big day at the end of the month.  When I saw that my blogging friend Joeylee had made one for her daughter (who incidentally shares her birthday with Hadley!) I knew I would try to make my own as well.

I love how it turned out and it was really easy!


Want to make one?  Here's what you need to do:

1 // buy a foam board, either white or black (I tried both and decided that I liked the black board for a "chalkboard" effect better) + Sharpies (metallic ones work great on black boards)

2 // create the board design in Photoshop or Picmonkey

3 // print out the design - I didn't want to pay to print mine in poster size, so I printed it on multiple sheets at home and taped them together


4 // color all over the text on the BACK of the poster - scribble with pencil if using a white board, scribble with chalk if using a black board.  Hope these pictures don't make it confusing - I made the white board first so a lot of these pictures are from that attempt.


5 // tape poster onto the foam board with right side out

6 // trace each letter by pressing with a blunt object (I used a mechanical pencil)

7 // carefully remove the poster paper from the foam board.  Left on your foam board with be the traced text!


8 // use the Sharpies to trace the chalk/pencil outlines and make the design permanent


I love how this project turned out and it was inexpensive too - only about $5!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out.
    You did yours a little easier than me. I printed mine out individually and then taped them. Your way of the big poster was way better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the step by step!! I may attempt this, but I'm still scared. I'm probably the least crafty individual on the planet!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails