Friday, July 26, 2013

DIY painted silhouettes

A few weeks ago I shared with you all my hallway photo gallery that I put up as a surprise for Drew.  There was a lot of interest in the kids' silhouettes that I made, so, as promised, here's the tutorial to make your own!

DIY painted silhouettes :: life's little moments blog

I first saw the idea on Jessica's blog and basically followed her tutorial found here.  The only thing I did differently was that I had someone else make the actual silhouettes (the hard part, in my opinion!).  I hoped to get a lot of detail in the silhouettes and had no confidence that I'd be able to draw that myself.  Instead, I sent photos to Minks Paperie on Etsy and had her create the silhouettes.  She came back with these for me - hurray!  Easy and beautiful!

      

The idea is that you can then get high quality prints of these digital images to hang in your home.  I really wanted the look of painted silhouettes on canvas, however, so I did it a little differently.

1 //  Resize digital image to 8x10 canvas in Photoshop and add name and age text

 

2 // Print it out - quality doesn't matter at all, I did fast print black and white to save ink


3 // Scribble all around the perimeter of your silhouette and all over the text with pencil


4 // Tape your silhouette on your canvas paper so it won't move.


Here's the canvas paper I got.


I zoomed in on the paper next to the pencil so you can hopefully see the texture.  It's exactly like a canvas you'd paint, except it comes in sheets!


5 // Take your pencil and trace HARD all around the outline of your silhouette and over the text.  This will transfer the pencil you scribbled onto the canvas so you have an outline to fill in with paint.


(sorry, don't have a picture of the pencil outline, but trust me, it works)

6 // Using acrylic paint and a small paintbrush, fill inside the pencil outline and paint over your pencil letters.  It's very much like paint-by-numbers.  :-)  Here's the paint I used.



7 // Let it dry, then frame and hang!


So easy and really unique.  Everyone who comes here comments on them!

If you end up doing some please let me know - I'd love to see your finished project!

1 comment:

  1. These are fabulous!! Was it hard to get the actual silhouette picture? How did you get them to sit still? Ha ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails