Sunday, December 15, 2013

happy birthday asher!

Asher, you are FOUR years old!


{quick pause for mama to bawl a little}

I cannot believe it's been 4 years since this sweet little nugget joined our family and made me a mommy and Drew a daddy.  Honestly, where has the time gone?


Four years ago I was at the hospital - excited, uncertain, and anxious.  But mostly excited.  We'd been wanting you and waiting for you and couldn't wait to see your face, Asher!



It was worth the wait.  Hello there, squishy.


That first year we learned a lot about each other.  I learned that you are mama's boy through and through.  There weren't many times we were apart and that's the way you preferred it.  Even now you still look to me for comfort and love to snuggle in "mommy's bed".


You love your Daddy something fierce too.  You guys have lots of adventures doing the "boy things" together.  Most times you'll be playing upstairs and I'm told to "go play Hadley, Mommy".  No girls allowed, I guess.  I'm ok with that.  :-)



Your second year brought more fun!  As you grew you were able to play with us and communicate.  We hit a bit of a snag right before your 2nd birthday when we learned that you needed a little OT and ST boost to get you caught up to your peers, but you worked so hard and now no one can tell it was ever an issue.


Asher as a 3 year old was…challenging.  ha!  You are a determined boy and often tried to tell me "I can do it all by myself" and "Asher is in charge".  Um, no.  ha!  While there were definitely terrible three's bumps in our road for the most part you long to obey and please us.  You started attending AWANA Cubbies and I'm blown away by how easily you absorb and memorize God's word.  If anyone asks you will tell them "God's word is truth."  I pray you always hold that truth and continue to follow after God's heart.


Asher, you are the funniest person I know.  Every day you say something that I'm not expecting and it's hilarious.


Yesterday I asked you how old you'll be tomorrow and you said "I'll be 4!  Not 3, mommy, I already did that."


You have the most loving nature.  So many times throughout the day you'll come up to me for a hug.  If you're sitting on the couch you always want someone to snuggle up next to you and you love to have all your 'friends' in bed - I honestly don't know how you fit with all of those animals.


Just like your Daddy you love music!  Drew couldn't be happier.  :-)  He's doing his best to make sure you know all the best music and grow up with the classics.  There isn't much (or any) kid's music in our house - save the Wee Sing Bible Songs - your favorites are The Who, Mumford & Sons, Paul Simon, BB King, Of Monsters and Men, Alabama Shakes, and Edvard Greig.


Hadley rocked your world when she joined us a little before your 3rd birthday, but after getting over the initial shock (and accepting that she actually is here to stay) you've started loving her.  The other day we went out just the two of us and halfway to the door of the store you said, "Wait, mommy!  Where's Hadley?"  I won't forget her in the car with you around!



You also help keep her safe by hollering for me whenever she's into something she should be.  Hadley loves to bypass the gate I set up to keep her away from the fireplace hearth and whenever she scoots back there you yell for me "Hadley's in the fire!  Save her Mommy!" and when I get her we all celebrate and you say "I saved her!  I saved Hadley!  Phew, that was a close one."  I'm pretty sure our celebration just gears her up to do it again, but that's ok.  :-)


Asher, you are such a smart boy.  You remember everything we say and negotiate like a seasoned businessman.  We're thinking about getting you your own stand in the Turkish Bazaar to boost your college fund.  Seriously, you wear me out with all the haggling over things like M&Ms earned for staying dry all night.  Sometimes I put my foot down and take charge, but honestly, it's not a bad life skill to have so I work with you most times.  ha!


Oh Asher my favorite thing about you is seeing how you are learning to love the Lord.  Nothing makes my mommy heart happier than when you pray.  It often ends up being more of a re-cap of your day than anything else, but you're talking to Jesus and he loves to hear how your day went.


You LOVE dessert.  That is all.



You're a serious stinker when it comes to taking pictures, but if that's your worst quality, I'll take it.


(you also bug your sister sometimes, but I think that's requisite for a big brother, so we'll take that too)


Asher Thomas, we love you so very much.  I'm sure you have no idea how much.  On the night you were born my life changed forever.  Daddy and I are blessed beyond measure by you precious boy.  We are enjoying today to the fullest and looking forward to seeing how your grow and change in the years to come.


My son, don't forget - love God, love others, and be loved.  We've got that third one covered for you.  xoxo.


4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Asher! You make your momma proud:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Asher. Love all the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post! Thank you for letting us into your lives and seeing firsthand just how good God is. You have a truly beautiful family and I feel blessed to know you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails