Saturday, January 17, 2009

baby, it's cold outside

Cleveland has experienced a deep freeze this week.
On Thursday, several school were closed and the warnings started:

Don't go outside for longer than you need to

Always wear gloves, a scarf, and a hat

Check on your elderly

It was approaching zero degrees and I was concerned.

Well, on the walk in to work (I have a 10 minute walk from where I park to my lab) I was surprised at how cold it wasn't. I thought people in Cleveland would be a little tougher -- this didn't seem so bad.

Then Friday came.

The warnings continued and more schools were closed.

It was -9 in the ambient air and -35 with the wind chill. I was skeptical again about the severity of things and left the house with confidence.

And my scarf.

And my gloves.

And my ear warmers.

And my boots, with 2 pairs of socks.

(The local news station might be fear mongering, but I wasn't going to take any chances)

It turns out they were right. There really wasn't any comparison between the days. It was FREEZING out there.

I was cold through my winter coat. I couldn't feel my legs.

Did I mention that it's only a 10 minute walk to work?

Fortunately I survived and things can only warm up from here.

Right?

I think that he might have been more comfortable here on Friday than I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails